How Did You Habituate to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had a constant static hiss 24/7 for about one year but ever since I first heard it it never bothered me at all. I thought it was nothing.

Then I later learned about tinnitus from a YouTube video. Unless I began reading forums/watching YouTube videos and obsessing about it after hearing all the bad stories I did not even really hear it all day.

I am to the point now where it’s there but I don’t even hear it at all the entire day even if it’s quite.

The sound kind of blends in with the environment if that makes any sense and since I had no emotional response to it didn’t cause any problems. It’s like my brain shuts it off unless I think about it.

I have to obsess about it for it to intrude which I’m thankful for because it means that it only bothers me periodically.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder though so when I get exposed to a moderately loud sound I get really nervous and just constantly listen and testing the volume for my tinnitus and it seems much louder than usual for about a day or two even though it never really spikes then I go back to normal me again.

Anxiety seems to make it much louder but not caring about makes it almost nonexistent for me personally.

Is this how you guys habituated or was it different for you? Are you satisfied with habituation being that there is no cure at the moment?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. HearsToHope
      Fine

HearsToHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
      I have noticeable T almost 24/7, but I've mostly habituated after a very rough 3 months. For me the trick seemed to be acceptance and emotional detachment from the T as well. Sometimes it can be difficult to sleep but I've been learning to get by. Spikes happen frequently but I don't freak about it unless it's a brand new tone way outside the norm. So far the new tones have never failed to go away on their own after a few minutes of calming myself. For me the most important things seem to be protection from loud sounds and saying calm, just letting T do its own thing.