How Did You Learn To Not Let Your Tinnitus Affect Your Concentration?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dawn Whinetaker, Sep 3, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      It took me a long time to get used to my Tinnitus. Especially when I was in a place that had no other background noise- it was very difficult for me to concentrate. I work in an office setting now and it's extremely difficult to focus when it's quiet in there. With that being said- I can't have background noise going that would affect other people's work. I noticed that having a small desktop fan on my desk helped a little with background noise, and I'd also play the radio on a very low setting with earphones. I just needed something to help me concentrate- and background noise seemed to do that. How did you learn to concentrate, even with the constant sound happening?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think once I focus on a task, I tend to mostly forget about my T or even if I hear it, I can ignore it. That level took a while to get to. The first year to 15 months was rough as far as ignoring my T goes. But now I can easily forget about it if I heavily involved in a project. I work in an office setting which can be quiet. However, because I have my own office, I always have Pandora or something playing which also helps.

I think having a fan on and low headphone music should help you. Ignoring T is kinda of skill that develops over time. I don't have it 100% perfected and it is still a work on progress. There are times when it is harder to ignore but I don't let it affect my work.

• Like Like x 2