How Do You Cope with Your Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christophe_85, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I do work full time, I am front desk but it just somehow gets too quite!! If I had more fast paced job I'm sure it wouldn't bug me...I've thought of getting another job lol

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Mentos,

You have the right to write your bad mood down !

It can help and we can help eich other by supporting... :)

Me too I often write when I don't feel well with T and regarding to my permanent fear about my T increasing...

Very good point if your wife is comprehensive, I think the fact that she has T as well helps !

Thank you and I hope you are ok these days ?

All the Best

Christophe

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ah ok... :)

But was it ok with these earplugs ?

And you don't really go back to the Movies ?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ah ok and this is not too much for you ?

Great if you live very close to your work ! :)

It avoids a lot of wasting time... !

So you wear them all day long ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I understand...

Sometimes when it gets too quiet for too long, especially at work everyday it can be bad as well... :confused:

But could you find another job or would it be difficult ?

6. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I still go to the movies with T, just saying

7. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hi, yes I'm much better these days, thanks. I have to stick to my ADs though, they help me to feel indifferent to my T. throughout the day. Still I do feel anxious at times, but i push myself to do the best I can at work, at home, with regards to my relations with my family etc. Finally at the end of almost each day I can say T did not impact what I did in a given day. But it's the matter of motivation each of us need to find to stand-up from bed despite T and fill-in your day with important things. Perhaps at work I need usually more time to do my tasks and I'm more frustrated and much less creative so I'm more a now doer than a thinker. But ok, I need to accept.

How are your days at work, does work help to take your mind off T?

Stay strong!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Great if you cope better these days ! :)

I totally know what you mean by the need to find motivation to get up every work day... For me mornings are difficults...

You know as long as you can still work it's already very good ! After yes I understand the frustration that you can feel...

I don't remember if you said anything about it, but do you have children ?

The come back to work is fine by now, but sometimes I feel tired and I am not at my full time yet... I am quite scared to fall in my bad habits again... But I need to change or stop them ! Otherwise my life is over already...

Have peace !

Christophe

9. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      im an accountant and obviously i sit in front of a computer all day...i put this clip on at work at a low volume...doesnt mask it completley but it does enough to distract me and let me get to my work

4 Hours Ocean Waves Sea Waves Stunning Sound -...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Only on the subway, never at work!

11. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Take REGULAR breaks from loud noise, use earplugs around loud noise, in quiet office listen to white noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes I imagine subway is very loud !

13. supernovae
      Dreaming

supernovae Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (concert)
      Yes with earplugs it was fine, I did not notice any increase in T and I could enjoy the movie as 17Db did not attenuate sounds too much. That was my first time, I am planning to watch some more in some weeks as there is an international film festival in the city where I live. But I guess I'll decide according to how I will feel those days.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What you mean with that?

By the way I can join the club here. I feel somehow in between: not handicapped enough to be just a cripple and stay at hone no matter the consequences and not well enough to feel able to do my work. So I pretend and pretend and pretend that I'm doing well. But this leads to nowhere so far and is very exhausting.
      I have huge worries about my future to be honest.

15. VincentWinters
      Dreaming

VincentWinters Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm fairly lucky in that I work in a lab with a lot of white noise and a radio. High pitch noises are very difficult to tolerate though. It seems like I can naturally now just home in on them now, my car makes a faint high pitched sound I never noticed before as do various electric devices at work and home. They are at least definitely external though. I thought I was getting two tone T the other day, just turned out to be my Sound Oasis charger making a funny noise. I almost laughed.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Same for me about the worries... :(

And regarding my bad habits, I mean not taking time to relax and read, eat a lot of sugar stuffs, not doing enough physical activities (even if I am quite limitated with that), etc...

I understand what you mean by very exhausting... But do you take time to relax ?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Ok it's great for you ! :)

I hope you could enjoy as many movies as you want !

18. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes mostly I do. But from times to times I get a little bit nervous and have my problems with relaxing. But in fact my t comes and goes as it wants in intensity. Like 2 weeks mostly ok, then 3 days shit, yesterday ok again and today shit again.
      Since its very different to all outside sounds it cannot well be masked when its loud. This still makes me very very concerned about my professional future. Even though I now think that I'm able to survive somehow this disease, I feel highly depressed and anxious about my ability to make my living in the future. Its just too much. Just to survive is sometimes all I can do.

Many days are quite good though and after having maybe 10 in a row (seldom) I always begin to feel normal again and able to achieve something again. But it always came back with vengeance.

So I was a couple of times already at the point of posting a sucess Story here but then it all disappeared to nothing again. Line my health is a house of cards.

As I said, I maybe even can arrange with that, but the duty of work which doesnt allow so many bad days is a real burden.

19. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jomo
      I love that sound, I'm going to use it.
      Very relaxing to listen to.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This thread is amazingly interesting to me.

I feel the same Mentos. I have now the 'luck' to have a break from work. Lets see what it brings.

If it helps in some way I will let you know.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting is that when in a meeting at work or during group work I can really bring my value to the discussion and it's much easier to be productive. When on my own instead I struggle with my thinking processes, can't concentrate, thougts are being constantly disturbed by T and my thoutgts are meandering around T. So at work there are ups and downs, I can be produtive for an hour or two and than I go down. I think this is also common for no T people, it's difficult to be 100% productive during whole 8h at work. It's just that for us it's even more difficult plus we tend to blame T for any difficulties or struggles we have in life. T is frustrating, even if it does not stress me the way it used to (I don't let it), it's a big distractor in our daily life.

22. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Mentos

Yes, its a distractor and a spoiler. We don't have less mental capacity due to t. I know that from playing chess. I checked carefully if I played worde after getting t.

But still everything is sooo much more difficult with t.

Many problems I have now I had before without t as well. But now the problems are just somehow inflated.

In the last 18 month I often had good times, when I was really at peace with me, my health and even my t (low then).

But I don't want to deceive myself anymore and I admit to myself, I'm seriously ill.

My only goal in life is to find back to this better days, that they get more and more.
      And to keep my girl friend ;)

My last hope is, that it is all connected with depression. Work makes me depressive (and almost always had in some way). If I just find a way to treat the depression, maybe the t gets better or the good days get more.

I dont know why work so easily can make me depressive. With t it is obvious, because you feel not well under constraints. And you feel handicapped. But to be honest, I felt this way already before, I just could compensate it well (or at least better).

Lets see what future brings.

23. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a very similar impression as you do, I also loved playing chess and even though more difficult now, I still play at more or less the same level. At work instead I was very succesful prior to T, mainly because I was very bright at meetings, I could lead people, inspire them, discuss with them subjects for hours. No these strenghts are gone, I have problems to really make a valuable points at meetings as T distracts my thought pattern. So finally we can say perhaps T does not lessen our mental capacity, but it does make it much more difficult to make the most use of our brains. Plus the motivation, I simply have much less motivation in me to work hard, since somehow my career is not so much important for me, more important is to stay away from stress. T is stressant in itself, I don't need nor want additional stress coming from work. I also had to admit to myself after getting T, I'm seriously ill and it takes a lot of internal power to stay positive and give the most of myself in each given day. What I luckily managed to accomplish is that after work most of a time I am at peace with my T when I relax playing chess or video games, watching TV, cooking, swimming, etc.
      Maintaining relations with our partner is also a challenge, I can see in relations with my wife, it requires much more from me to "pretend" or to force myself to being positive each day so that she does not feel neglected by me because of T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes same for me about the work...

The thing is, we really need to take some time off and just sit and relax with reading or other... Even if it doesn't impact on our Ts, it can surely help us cope better with it !

You should see what you do before getting your strong T back... See if there is something that doesn't help you...

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Mentos,

I am sure that you could have your brain ability back in the future !

Since you do very good with relaxing every time you get out of work... :)

Keep playing chess and swimming ! Maybe the Video Games are not the best but still just do it ! ;)

However I must agree with you regarding a relationship... To me it seems very complicated and I don't know if I would be with someone in the future...

Have peace !

Best

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Man this week is harder than last one... :(

But I know I drank too much on Saturday night and didn't sleep at all until 10 am...

Now I am scared to fall back in my bad habits like last year... :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      My workplace has a lot of sudden loud noises. However, it is not particularly harmful to a healthy person. To be honest, the sounds are everyday noises. We do have powered equipment but I don't use it. Almost certainly my performance has dropped but I will sacrifice a tiny bit of a potential raise to protect myself.

If there are loud noises, I just walk away. There are sometimes children at work and if they are around me, I walk away preemptively. I especially don't trust children so I go to lengths to avoid them.

Though, my T is definitely quieter after a weekend off. I don't consider my job any riskier than simply going outside. Not sure what would be a better place to work at. Have chronic pain so the jobs I can work are already kind of limited to begin wuth.

29. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Booze should be avoided where possible. And really there's no need for it. If the gang's going for drinks after work is there some reason you can't have a soda water with lime or something? Or at least keep it to something reasonable like a single drink/beer/or glass of wine. If they know about your condition and are supportive, they'll understand and encourage it. The upside is you'll save a lot more money too.

30. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      I'm fortunate to work from home and my mother shares the house with me as she's been retired several years. Quite frankly I'm glad of it because I don't think anyone should have to deal with this alone. I make it a point to go out for a calming walk, take time to chat with neighbors about nothing in particular and that sort of thing helps immensely. If you can manage to rely on your family for help and maybe work a day or two less a week for now that would be a good way to go as well. Taking on too much too soon or work related stress won't help. Neither will financial stress I know but you have to try and find the balance in there somewhere. :)

• Informative Informative x 1