How Do You Deal with Sickness?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Straw, May 30, 2019.

?

Does getting colds / flu affect your tinnitus?

1. Yes, tinnitus got worse, but it went back to normal right after cold / flu was gone

2. Yes, tinnitus got worse, and took a while to go back to normal after cold / flu was gone

3. Yes, tinnitus got worse, and has NOT returned back to the baseline

4. Varies, sometimes colds / flu make my tinnitus worse (temporarily), other times not

5. No, colds / flu have no effect on my tinnitus

6. I haven't had a cold / flu since my tinnitus started, so I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I am currently sick with a cold and have a lot of upper respiratory congestion. My left ear feels plugged and muffled, probably due to my Eustachian tubes being blocked. This goes without saying, but tinnitus is obviously all over the place now, which is quite lovely. :banghead:

I am drinking lots of water, blowing my nose constantly, and taking hot steam showers, but I can only do so much and it just has to naturally run its course.

What do you guys do when your sick? Do you take certain medicines?

Any advice to help me get outta this alive would be helpful! lol

Added a quick questionnaire, because I am curious.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have had two episodes of the cold after getting tinnitus. The first episode it actually lowered my tinnitus... I woke up in the middle of the night on the couple of days, where my nose was very blocked and I heard near silence. Wonderful!

Second bout of cold was different. The tinnitus was mostly unchanged, but I think at one point it spiked it a wee bit. It went back to baseline quickly though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I used NAC, drank fresh orange juice and I drank a garlic and ginger drink with a touch of honey (not the nicest drink btw), cold cleared pretty quick but my ears did take just under 3 months to go back to baseline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm hoping this is the case with me too!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just under three months?! Was it a huge spike or little one?

6. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was huge mate, like hear it over the shower loud, it freaked me out if I’m honest but some cool people on here talked sense into me and after the 1 month mark it had lowered a lot then it slowly went back to baseline.

I got a second cold and it spiked again but not to the same extent and cleared up within a month I think.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My advice is to throw everything that is good at the immune system. I doubt you will think much of my advice because of my history but this is a topic I know about.

I am practicing what I preach because I am doing everything what I am going to suggest.

Take foods heavy in vitamin C, vitamin C supplements, Zinc and Spirulina supplements.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. You can also try herbal teas for colds.

I know that my immune system has weakened because of anxiety and stress due to tinnitus etc. so I am trying to help it. I don't want to get any worse, tinnitus wise but also my overall health.

As long as I am still here, I want to minimize suffering as much as possible.

• Informative Informative x 2
    8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      That's a good tea choice.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah it’s not the nicest drink and my partner said I stunk while I was taking it haha but it did help and I’m trying to drink it 3/4 times a week now, not sure if I’m getting the full benefit like that though.

10. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I should get one soon. My current tea is ginger and turmeric. Try that one. You might like your drink afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cool I’ll try it, I’ve got ginger and turmeric so I’ll try making a tea with them. Do you make yours from scratch or buy tea bags?

12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Tea bags but from scratch is admittedly better.

13. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve got so many different types of teas in the pantry it’s stupid haha I started making them from scratch now, it’s pretty easy and cheaper I think.

14. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hey buddy, hope you are feeling already a bit better. Each time I caught a cold I got a massive spike (new tones, louder baseline). First time it took nearly 2 months to subside, second time just a week or so. I initially always took some OTC medication like paracetamol and nasal spray but in the end I just had to sit it out. I also used some NAC and I kind of think that helped a bit.

Wishing you a fast recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    15. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I haven't gotten sick yet but recently I took allergy meds for hay fever and my tinnitus went through the roof!! I had no idea how ototoxic those over the counter meds are, so beware of allergy pills! Hope you get better soon Jack!

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah gunna wait it out. Pretty brutal stuff. Lol

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I try to avoid them if possible. I assume the spike settled after taking it?

Cute puppy btw!

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergy meds aren't known to be ototoxic; that is, they don't do damage to any part of the auditory or vestibular system.

they can certainly cause spikes in some people, because they are psychoactive drugs that modulate a number of transmitters (often including serotonin as an undesired side effect), and anything that changes brain chemistry can change the noise. they're not going to mess you up long term, though.

I deal with colds by being annoyed and consuming excess amounts of cannabis. If I have a significant fever, then I will rely on Tylenol to help me sleep through the worst of it, but I keep my consumption to like 5 pills a year because that stuff is definitely ototoxic, in addition to hepatoxicity and other nastiness.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Isn’t Tylenol the least ototoxic OTC painkiller / fever reducer? @Bill Bauer talked about this in another thread I think.

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That sounds like dangerously incorrect information to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831770/
      I don't take any of these things if I can avoid them, but Tylenol is the one which is actually helpful when I have a significant fever (not useful any other time). For routine aches and pains, yoga+cannabis works better for me than any of these pills, and as far as I can tell carries less risks (at least as far as hearing goes; cannabis is a strong psychoactive drug which definitely creates a physical dependence, so I don't necessarily endorse it, but it works for me).

Of course, these studies are assessing regular use; very occasional use of any of them is likely to be fine.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it is well known that regular use of OTC pain killers are very ototoxic. But occasional use for less than a week isn’t supposed to be.

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my suspicion, especially with APAP, is that even limited use (mainly meaning over a period of consecutive days, because of its long elimination and toxicity thereof) is probably slightly damaging, it's just that it's so slight that it disappears into the background of someone's general state of health and other more significant risk factors.

23. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hey man, any updates? Are you feeling better?:)

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The tinnitus from the sickness has passed. Took a couple of weeks but it finally settled back to baseline or close enough to it. Was pretty crazy ride though. Lol

• Hug Hug x 1