How Do You Go Outside?

Discussion in 'Support' started by butterfly75, Mar 30, 2017.

1. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Every sound seems so uncomfortable. Parents talking, doors squeaking, cutlery, dogs barking from outside, cars driving by (especially motorcycles.) It seems %100 times louder to me in my head.

I have to wear ear plugs even in the house. I have to keep asking parents to talk quietly even though they already are. I can't expose myself to regular sounds because everything just seems so loud and uncomfortable, and anything seems to make T worse which is far worse to me so I don't want to risk it increasing any more than it has.

Family wants to go outside and they suggest going on trips and vacations but can't even really step out of the house. How do you just go outside?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      What is the cause of all this ?

3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      It's called hyperacusis. Sound sensitivity. I'm very sorry this is happening to you.

You have to stop wearing earplugs at home, you're only making things worse. Don't push yourself - slowly reintroduce sound to your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Earplugs are your friend for now. Avoid loud places and wear the plugs when the sounds hurt. You don't have to endue the pain.

Good luck, I've been on this crazy ride for almost eight months now. Some people here have been on it for years. But I hope things get better for you much sooner.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Listening to music with headphones for so long probably.

6. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Been there -- I know how horrible the "clank" of cutlery can be. Or even the "swish" of water coming out of the tap at the sink. Others simply can't comprehend the pain we feel from hyperaccussis. It's worse than tinnitus.

I think a lot of it is tied into our reactionary "fight or flight" mechanism to be honest. After I learned to do relaxation exercises my H really calmed down. It didn't happen overnight but it did happen. And I was careful not to get too dependent on using ear plugs. Don't get me wrong, they have their uses, but wearing them constantly only delays the healing from H in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Try to start listening to sound again. I would recommend to listen to white noise at very low volume through speakers; try to play it for an hour or two per day, and increase exposure time when you are feeling better; also increase volume gradually.

Be careful with noise outside home for the moment; being exposed to very loud peaks of sound - even for a brief moment - can make improvement slower. For most people H gets better over time, but it is a super slow process (many months or maybe 1-2 years to notice any significant improvement)

8. Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I use earmuffs Peltor Optime 35 dB and can go anywhere.I don't use earplugs at all as I have cochlear hyperacousis from acoustic shock and earplugs can cause further damage.Also I have to buy new ones once on about 9months because it gets used over time and losses it's attenuating properties.Recently I've made a grave mistake as I took them off in cold windy day and wind blew just in my ears causing painful inflammation that still lasts

9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Listen some pink noise sounds and get some over the ear headphones to help block out some of the sound. You don't want to use ear plugs as they block out too much sound and can make it worse. Your brain needs to adjust your hearing gain when you have hyperacusis and it takes time. I had it severe for a few months but total about 6 months before it was bearable again.

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I'd say wear Peltor ear muffs for a few A year or two and slowly re-expose yourself to sound as feel better

The rule is to not rush or push the ears