How Does Melatonin Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 26, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was just curious what your experience was after taking melatonin.

This is a study most of you probably already know but I will post it anyway about certain sub group of people having their tinnitus lowered with melatonin:
    2. glynis-harbron

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

England, Stoke-on-Trent
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I started it on Friday again to help me sleep 2mg .
      Be nice if it calms down my ears but ears are full as crackle when swallow and feel a cold creeping on..
      .lots of love glynis
    3. LadyDi

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Florida, USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be people's tinnitus gets lower when they are taking melatonin because its helping them sleep. Not sleeping causes anxiety which can cause T. But this is just a guess on my part. Also, in reading the abstract, it looks like people with low anxiety at baseline were more likely to have tinnitus lowered by melatonin, so that kind of shoots my theory.

Melatonin definitely affects your brain chemistry, which could be another factor. It gives my way crazy dreams. Not to mention headaches. And it doesn't do much for sleep for me. Which is why I don't take it. But that's just my experience, others have success with melatonin. At least its inexpensive and doesn't require a prescription. But do tell your doc if you are taking it. It's pretty potent for a supplement.
    4. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I agree. It is quite potent for me and it takes effect pretty fast.