How Does Melatonin Affect Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 26, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I was just curious what your experience was after taking melatonin.

This is a study most of you probably already know but I will post it anyway about certain sub group of people having their tinnitus lowered with melatonin:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859051

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I started it on Friday again to help me sleep 2mg .
      Be nice if it calms down my ears but ears are full as crackle when swallow and feel a cold creeping on..
      .lots of love glynis

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Could be people's tinnitus gets lower when they are taking melatonin because its helping them sleep. Not sleeping causes anxiety which can cause T. But this is just a guess on my part. Also, in reading the abstract, it looks like people with low anxiety at baseline were more likely to have tinnitus lowered by melatonin, so that kind of shoots my theory.

Melatonin definitely affects your brain chemistry, which could be another factor. It gives my way crazy dreams. Not to mention headaches. And it doesn't do much for sleep for me. Which is why I don't take it. But that's just my experience, others have success with melatonin. At least its inexpensive and doesn't require a prescription. But do tell your doc if you are taking it. It's pretty potent for a supplement.

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I agree. It is quite potent for me and it takes effect pretty fast.

5. Stephen1144

Stephen1144 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun noise
      Good information about Melatonin.

Thank you!

Steve

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      As others will suggest. It can sometimes help you sleep better which can aid in the perception of T being less.

7. hermes

hermes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1967/2001/2007/ 2011 / 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      brain concussion/otitis media/head trauma/audio trauma X 2
      I tried it many years ago to improve my insomnia but stopped because it seemed to affect my short term memory. Just tried 2.5 mg twice last night, at 8:30 am and 2:30 a.m. I don't expect immediate effects, but I also don't expect immediate side effects either. Unfortunately, last night I had extremely vivid bizarre dreams like when I first started on ropinerole for PLMD (which I went off several weeks ago, gradually).

After this first night using melatonin, I woke up to increased volume tinnitus and racing heart from these strange dreams like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Co-incidence? I do not know. I am cautious to even experiment with it. If I do, I will stick to a lower single dose at an earlier time of night. And try it on and off until I get a sense of what if there is any connection between general mental state and tinnitus when I take versus do not.

This has scared me, to have to T made worse by a simple supplement.

8. Ardwordin
      Curious

Ardwordin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax
      I took 'timed release' melatonin last night. I slept real good for roughly 6 hours. I'd say it really helped me because my T wasn't letting me sleep for the past two days. Last night was bliss. Hopefully it will help you as well.
      I read somewhere that regular melatonins only work for 3/4 hours. Timed- release however makes you sleep for longer.

Good Luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1