How Does Tinnitus from ETD Sound Like?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karam, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys I'm 15, I recently started hearing this hollow, seashell like tone in my left ear or head area and I suspect I have ETD. It can't really be masked. I just don't know what to do with my life, is this what tinnitus from ETD sounds like???

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Guys pleaasse help!? Im 15 and no one seams to be responding! Ive had tinnitus for over two months and it reduced but I developed a new hollow sound in my head or left ear thats driving me crazy! It likes to compete with other sounds!! It might be because of ETD or TMJ or i dont even know :( ive been crying these few days and ive got my GCSEs coming up this year like how am i going to live ,will this new sound subside??btw ive got anxiety disorder which makes it 100 times worse? Is this temporary??? Ill keep updated if it goes. :'(

3. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Have u been to an ENT? U need to see if u have fluid or wax in your ears.

Is the sound there all the time, is it like a hiss? Not sure what u mean...

Keep calm, tell your teachers...ask the GP to write a letter. You will still be able to study, make sure u get the support u need. You're young u stand better chances of healing ...

1. See an GP then ENT about your ears
      2. Speak to school about your issues with the condition which u fear may affect ur concentration
      3. Speak to school about anxiety or the GP to see if u can get some counselling

Let us know how u get on, always tell ur parents how u're feeling.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have went to my GP and finnally got a referral to an ENT but im not sure when, as it takes longer in the UK. GP checked my ears and found no wax so it could be from another reason, also this new sound is like this seshell hollow sound which seems to be coming from the left side of my head and it conpetes with other sounds its almost overwhelming. Ive been doing good these past weeks with my regular tinnitus but all that changed recently. And it's basically non existent in the morning and mild in scilence but when theres normall everyday sounds it just rises then stops when the sounds stops, other than that it's pretty constant

5. linda moore

linda moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi Karam,
      My tinnitus started like yours , my doctor gave me antibiotics, it went away.
      Unfortunately it came back years later and now I have it all the time.
      Good thing is you are too young for full blown tinnitus, remember this could be a warning so no loud music, dont have ear phones up loud and if you do smoke pot that can cause it in later life , so go easy.
      Hope this helps ! Push your doctor to get results.
      Linda.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks linda, hopefully this spike subsides.

7. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      It could be patulous Eustachian tube

If the Eustachian stays open (Patulous) as from physical abnormality, one will likely experience another type of objective tinnitus: described as an ocean roar or hollow effect, like a sea shell

A camera down your nose will tell you for sure

8. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My doctor prescribed me antibiotics to prevent infection. Apparently I have fluid behind my ears and my eardrum membrane is pink so I was referred to an ENT. I'm scared I'll have this tinnitus forever. Im the same age is the original poster.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Karl, could this objective tinnitus be treated?

10. linda moore

linda moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi No you should be fine after antibiotics I have just had a course for chest infection and my tinnitus has seemed a lot better.

11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I had that at the Eye & Ear. Watched it too. All we really picked up was a lot of welcome-back-to-Melbourne sinusitis. We did go with that diagnosis at the time though and tried for a while to treat it.

12. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Most likely, if you do not have fluid in the middle ear, they will pass you as fine. I'm afraid to say that even if an ENT says it is fine and that you don't have ETD, you may still have it.

Taken from the following NHS document:

http://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/122746/FullReport-hta18460.pdf

"The lack of clearly defined diagnostic criteria, together with the uncertainty relating to the aetiology of ETD, presents a key challenge in undertaking a review of interventions for its treatment. Lack of consensus on the necessary features for diagnosis, including clinical history, requires additional awareness of the risk of error and bias in the selection of studies, as well as increasing the probability of clinical heterogeneity in the included studies."

So in brief, they don't really know how to diagnose it, nor what causes it, so you probably won't get an accurate diagnosis anyway.

13. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think I have the same sound. It is really horrible. Idk what it is. Sorry I can't help but you have my sympathy.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update: the sound reduced a bite over the past weeks but just today i got a spike from someone exploding a juicebox next to me in school, this make the reactivity of the tinnitus worse