How easily can tinnitus get worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erlend, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I was wearing a headset with low white noise, then I started a video and the sound setting was on a really high volume ( didn't know, cause the white noise youtube video was set on low volume) and so it was really loud for a split second before i pulled the headset off.

Now i fee like the T is a bit worse. This is just placebo/me being worried? Right?

Surely you can't get worse T from one second from a headset?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      My left ear hurts a little (could be placebo) and my tinnitus seems but louder in the left ear.. Could this really happen from 0.3 sec of loud headset sound?
      It was kind of like those prank links people send where you watch something closely and then suddenly a witch comes up and startle you really loud.

I mean.. The only thing that can cause T in such short time is a gun shot, isn't it?

3. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      sudden loud sounds when the ear is not expecting it is not good - there is a small muscle inside the ear that tenses up when the noise level goes up, to help protect the hair cells. if the sound comes on suddenly, it is worse than continuous. i know, this happened to me last week, i clanged a metal mixing bowl, unexpectedly, and there has been a lot more tinnitus since then.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Will it go down?
      Geez I feel like I'm set back like 3 months now is this possible!?
      It had never been so low as the last few days, I was starting to hope it could go away then this happens... Please someone tell me i'm imagining this or it will go down.

I mean.. If that can screw up your ears then it would have happened sooner or later?

5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I feel the same because all I did was shut my car bonnet and now my tinnitus is louder, if it stay louder what will it be like in the future.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Erlend,

I can only offer my own unique experience.

I have plenty of times fallen victim to those prank videos you mentioned. And gotten a real good blast to my ears thanks to headphones.

Any increase has been temporary.

Tip: avoid making long-time predictions based on a few days or even weeks. It could be a spike that lasts a bit longer, but I have faith it'll go down for you.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Thank you Marku

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      A bunch of new sounds. From 0.3 seconds in a headset.

The øadt couple of days I was finaløy able to easily fall asleep with no masking

I wanna kill myself

9. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Hey Erlend,

Relax and calm down, like Markku I too have lots of inadvertent accidents regarding sounds, eg. listening to my Ipod with the volume really up, turning on the car radio with the volume at more than mid level, blasting myself when clicking a You tube video...) and everytime I would have a spike and it ALWAYS goes back down...I don't think 0.3 seconds will do permanent damage to your ears, it's more of the anxiety and the brain focusing again on the sound that will make it seem louder. Give it time, relax, get busy and soon before you know it it's back to your normal baseline.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    10. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Yeah try not to stress, I've been in a gang of situations where I get blasted with really loud sound unexpectedly - it's hard to avoid sometimes! It'll calm back down, if anything it's the anxiety around it that feeds it.

Anyway hope you start to feel better!

11. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sometimes zinc lowers the spike, give it a try. It's temporary, hang in there !

12. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It's happened to me quite a few times... a smoke alarm went off very near me; men began drilling in the road as I was walking by etc. etc.

Sometimes the increase in volume can last for 3 to 5 days but mine always went back down again.

Try to stay calm.. and wait - good luck!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      There is one speciic kind of sound, the worst one, that i got from the beginning, but had been gone for a month or something before this. it is a "shooting" or "firing" pattern of high pirch T

-____-____-__-____-___-__-_

tried to illustrate it

that sound seems to be back louder than ever.

my Q: as this sound has gone away before, doesnt it seem likely that it will go away again?

14. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yip it will go away, yesterday was a day from heaven for me, late in the day all hell broke loose, helping a friend dispose of broken ceramic tile I forgot what I was doing and threw the bloody box down hard and gues what LOUD shattering glass sound ...OUCH!!!! I spiked and have been loud for nearly 24 hours...ho hum it will go down, stay calm dude.