How Effective Is Olive Oil in the Prevention of Ear Wax Buildup?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tommi_boi, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sightly gruesome topic, but as I am prone to creating a fair bit of ear wax.

I might have pokes inside and given myself an ear infection to which I've only just gotten over! Funny enough, the ear drops I was given has cleaned my ears out for me, but as this is really ear medication I can't use this all the time !

I read that adding olive oil ear drops once a week as a routine clean up helps prevents having to go to an ENT to get them cleaned out, so I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how effective olive oil is?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Olive oil in the ear canal should prevent ear wax from becoming compacted and causing a problem. I use a few drops of slightly warm oil in my ears once a month from an eye dropper. It should help in the natural cleaning process of the ear canal moving wax to the outside. Please, please, never poke anything into your ears to clean them.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thanks, yup no poking - lesson learnt , although having a blocked ear is infuriating! I've now learnt to leave it alone. Thanks for the tip