How Long Can a Spike Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by aimeealex, Jan 19, 2017.

1. aimeealex

aimeealex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/04/2013
      So as the title says, how long can a spike last?

I've had some last a few hours and few last a week or so, having one now and it's coming up for 2 weeks could it still be a spike? Or just a new noise to try and habituate to?! It's a high pitched noise in one ear that comes and goes every few seconds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Are Spikes in Tinnitus permanent?

Someone recently asked me, whether a spike in tinnitus caused by loud noise would be permanent? I don’t think there is a definitive answer, because tinnitus is a complex condition and if hyperacusis is also present it can complicate matters further. Some people habituate to tinnitus but their hyperacusis hasn’t fully cured and this can cause tinnitus to spike.

When a person first develops tinnitus and it was caused by loud noise they have to be careful in future. Tinnitus can and does spike for many people and this is not necessarily caused by loud noise or sounds. After a while it usually returns to baseline or into its normal rhythm. Danger can present itself after a person habituates and the tinnitus has reduced to mild or moderate levels for most of the time. If one isn’t careful, it can be easy to forget and slip back into the old lifestyle of: listening to music through headphones. Attending clubs, concerts and the cinema where sound levels can be quite high.

I believe a person with tinnitus should attend clubs, concerts and the cinema if they want to, providing they use noise-reducing earplugs to protect themselves. However, one should remember that nothing is one hundred percent safe. My advice is to stay clear of large standing floor speakers and if you’re at a concert don’t go to near the front stage where the music is likely to be booming out at high sound levels.

In many instances people will get a warning when visiting these places. If the decibel levels are too high their tinnitus might spike. Usually the tinnitus will return to baseline. However, some people do not pay attention to these warnings and continue to subject their ears to loud sounds and think they are perfectly safe because they are wearing earplugs. Under these circumstances the tinnitus might spike again and this time it might become permanent. I am saying might because nothing is for certain. In my opinion a person with tinnitus needs to follow the warnings their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them.

Regarding headphones. Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to tinnitus and returned to using headphones and listened to music through them at low volume. All of them have noticed an increase in their tinnitus. Some of them noticed their tinnitus spiked but carried on listening to music through headphones and then the tinnitus increased to a higher and more permanent level. It must be said that some people with tinnitus use headphones and have no adverse effects and that is perfectly fine. My opinion on this is, anyone that has tinnitus shouldn’t listen to any type of audio through headphones even at low level.

It saddens to say, if a person doesn’t heed the warning signs their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them, then they will eventually feel because tinnitus is very unforgiving. It is fine when some people are telling others what they want to hear: "listen to music through headphones because life is for living". “Go to the club as often as possible you’re safe with earplugs. If your tinnitus increases you will be the one that will be in the suffering.

I have read many posts in tinnitus talk, where people had habituated and the tinnitus is low. They returned to listening to music through headphones and clubbing during the week and weekends. Some are now regretting this because their tinnitus has increased and they are in distress. Just because a person habituates doesn't mean they can forget everything and carry on in some instances recklessly. You can of course do this but my advice is to do things in moderation and not to excess, because the end result is often returning to ENT for help and visiting tinnitus forums because you are unable to cope.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aimeealex

aimeealex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/04/2013
      Hi Michael, thanks for your comment,
      I'm really careful (and paranoid) about my ears and always protect them, never go to clubs etc. have never had a spike related to noise exposure it's always been totally random no explanation or a cold/sinus infection that's caused it. Same this time, no loud noise exposure, mild cold a few weeks back but major spike for the last 2 weeks. Just looking for people to give advice on how long they have experienced spikes for and if 2 weeks of a new noise is likely to be permanent or possibly a long spike??

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi aimealex,
      Do you listen to music through headphones? It is not good to over protect your ears as you can make them more sensitive to sound. I cannot say how long spikes will last. If you have experiencing spikes something is causing this?
      Below are two links that include articles that I have written on tinnitus and hyperacusis that you might find helpful.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      aimeealex

aimeealex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/04/2013
      Haven't listened through headphones since my T started so almost 3 years. I do always try and work out what I have done which could be related to it when I have a spike, so I can then avoid in the future, normally it will be a cold that's caused it but sometimes I can't for the life of me think what it could be, no noise exposure no changes in diet/medications/supplements etc. I try to not over protect my ears also and have a good balance between being careful in loud places and also allowing myself to be comfortable with normal everyday noises.
      It's strange there must be a cause that I'm not realising maybe hormonal? Quite possibly stress as my father was taken into hospital last week which didn't help matters but I'm 90% sure my noise started elevating before that.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is most likely that “Headphones” caused your tinnitus. Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause tinnitus and headphones are usually at the top of the list. In addition to your tinnitus you probably have some hyperacusis. Since the onset of your tinnitus was 3 years ago your hyperacusis seems to have improved but the spikes you are experiencing could be an indication that your hyperacusis hasn't completely healed. Read my post above again: Are spikes in tinnitus permanent. I also advise you to read the articles in the links that I sent you above. If you haven't been seen at ENT in a while then I believe it would be a good idea to get some tests done and then a referral to see a Hearing Therapist for tinnitus and hyperacusis management.
      Best of luck
      Michael
      Stress can also cause tinnitus to spike