How Long Does the Effect of Smoking Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by katriina, Feb 20, 2014.

1. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This might be a stupid question but if I smoke one cigarette in the morning, how long does it affects last in my body? I mean could it make my T louder for a day etc, just one cigarette? And why does my T decreases right after smoking? I have tried to find out answer to this question but I just don't get it...

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yes, please quit.
      Consider this, the subcellular biochemical effects are bad enough, but there's icky smoke floating all around in your sinuses and inner ear coming in DIRECT contact with the very tissue you need to protect.
      It's a bad double whammy.
      A cigarette is the worst drug going because it'll give you what you want.
      If you're down, it'll pick you up.
      If you're up, it'll chill you down.
      If you're hungry or thirsty it'll fill you up.
      If you're shy, you'll become social.
      If you're bored, it'll stimulate your thoughts.
      On and on...
      I wonder if it could take T away temporarily?
      I used to think it took my bad headaches away because sometimes I'd have a smoke and my headache would go away.
      Nicotine will lie to you.

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I don't think that those are the reasons why my T is extremely quiet after smoking because if I'm totally relaxed at home I can still hear my T as loud as it is... :confused: Ofcourse smoking relaxes me but I don't think that is the answer in this question. Today I won't smoke any cigarette and then I try to see how my T reacts to it... Totally quitting is going to be very hard because I just have smoked for a long time..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      A friend of mine quit after smoking for 40 odd years.. He just made up his mind and stopped.. without any help at all .. And has not had a fag for 2 years .. He hasn't got tinnitus.. But in just saying..

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I did too. About 28 years. You can do it, after the 3 day hump it gets easy.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Did smoking effect to your tinnitus in any way? How did it react when you stopped smoking?

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      The bus with EXTREMELY loud music where I got T, I had to go to the back of the bus to smoke, where the speakers were. Smoked 6 cigarettes in 30 minutes maybe, next to the speakers... Maybe this smoking played some role in me getting T

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I remember it well. When I smoked I always had the flucuations and the whooshing and the side to side unbalanced feelings. A lot. I studied up and found out why - nicotine destroys the myelin coating on all nerves in the central nervous system. Like stripping the plastic coating off wire. Anyway, a few weeks after quitting, the whooshing and weirdness was gone. I remember walking for exercise and NOT having that problem, only the T sound.
      I was hoping the T would go too but I destroyed my hair cells long ago with loud music.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @I who love music That is awesome! Your story really inspires me to quit smoking :) I have fluctuation all the time and now my good ear has started to make random ringing noise too... I just would love if my T could settle down after quitting to the point where it has been on it's quietest..

PS. First day without cigarette and I feel my T has been little quieter maybe?? I don't want to celebrate too much because... well, always when I do that, it comes back even louder o_O This is going to be hard but let's give it a try!

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Maybe you could apply my T trick to your nicotine.
      I always say don't measure your T. EVER. Don't say, 'It's louder, it's higher... whatever.' Say, "I heard it while I was in the store but not while checking out." Something like that.
      So when you're craving a smoke maybe say, "This is the 3rd time today I thought about a cigarette."

I've forgotten what it's like to want a cigarette. Cool, huh?