How Long Until We Can Treat Cochlear Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Apr 15, 2022.

1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      How long do you think it will take until we have indication of meaningful treatment for cochlear tinnitus? Cochlear tinnitus refers to a tinnitus generated by aberrant activity in the inner ear, which is propagated through the cochlear nerve and the central auditory pathway.

Here is my belief:

1 year: 10% probability
      5 years: 25% probability
      10 years: 50% probability
      20 years: 80% probability

Am I too pessimistic? Too positive?

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      What do you mean by "treatment"? Do you mean getting an intratympanic injection and tinnitus forever being silenced thereafter? Or do you mean taking a pill every day or using a device daily for the rest of your life to keep the tinnitus quieter? If you mean the latter, Dr. Susan Shore's device might work for many.

Cure is far away. 20+ years.

Treatment that makes the tinnitus less loud for >80% of tinnitus sufferers I think can be available within 10 years.

But what do I know, some researchers always say we have a cure in the next 10 years. They said that in 2000 and they say it now. It's always 10 years in the future.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I did not mean a full cure. I was more thinking of improved formulas of intratympanic injections that will give you meaningful relief. Hopefully so good that tinnitus is only heard in silent environments or so stable that you can habituate.

It might be the OTO-313 or multiple injection of it. I guess we have a clue about that in a few months time frame when they publish their results for Phase 2.

If you help the cochlea on its own, I think there's a good possibility that the brain's plasticity will sort out the rest.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Johnny Karate said his ear tinnitus has disappeared with 25 mg Naltrexone.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I would prefer something that targets the root cause more directly and something that you do not have to be dependent on for the rest of your life.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Not only dependent, but Naltrexone also won't work at that dosage for long. You need to increase dosage and then end up with side effects worse than tinnitus over time. We need long term solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Bump.