How Loud Are Smoke/Fire Alarms in Apartments? My Head and Ears Hurt

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardGuy, Nov 3, 2019.

1. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Smoke alarm went off in my apartment today. I have experience with them, but never even close to this loud. For the five or six seconds I was fully exposed (ears not plugged) during the evacuation (can't open a door without hands), the sound level was so high it felt like it was piercing my soul and caused me genuine pain. My ears are still slightly more full than usual, the ringing sounds are strange and a bit louder, and I felt a little off-balance. Though that part could be nerves.

I looked up the company that makes the alarms and tried the best I could to find the specific model. Of all the ones I looked up, this alarm does NOT have a dB rating. All of the other ones are claimed to be 85 dB, but even my partially deaf father agreed that that noise was far louder than 85 dB. I personally thought it had to be a minimum of 110 dB. Considering that the max noise level of an alarm is 120 dB I doubt that is far from reality.

Here is what (I think) the model is- (https://www.firstalert.com/product/hardwired-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-with-battery-backup/) - although I cannot be certain because it doesn't look exactly like the ones in my apartment:

fire-alarm.jpg

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Hard to put an exact number on it, but it is definitely more than 85 db for a smoke alarm. I was recently shopping for a new alarm, and noted that the alarm came with a siren for 105 db, and I think many of these devices are kind of in that range.

3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's illegal but you can try to disconnect it. Some buildings have another alarm vent. I duct taped mine to muffle the sound. I hope it does. I hate living here.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      thanks for the recommendation @PeteJ , was already considering that.

Morning after update: ears still feel a bit strange, and the tinnitus has changed from mostly ringing with hissing to some hissing and a strange computer sound. Maybe as if one was in a server room? It sounds similar to regular ringing but has a distinctly electronic feel to it.

Doc's office is closed on Sundays but prednisone will be my first purchase monday.

5. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      How are you doing now? Did you get the prednisone, if so did it help?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      For some reason I am not getting alerts when people respond. Yes, I eventually recovered with the help of 60mg prednisone. But now I am knee-deep in an incident that just took place on Thursday and was only given 24 mg

• Like Like x 1
    7. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It just happened to me. It happened just as I was walking past it. It was absolutely PIERCING. I'm so scared. :cry:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Yup, and I'm pretty sure I just damaged my hearing when the car alarm next to me went off. I have some sort of low frequency rumbling in both ears (sounds like horses running) and new ringing sounds the last 12 hours.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Did these sounds go away over time?