How Many Days Does Temporary Tinnitus Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by user5871, Sep 20, 2015.

1. user5871

user5871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long your average temporary tinnitus lasts, and after how long is it becoming likely to be more of a permanent thing?

Thanks

2. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      That really depends on the cause. In my case (acoustic trauma) the longest I've read about on various forums is a few weeks. I think mine may have also disappeared as it had went down significantly after 2 weeks but then I let myself around loud noise again and caused it to stay indefinitely. But there are many causes of tinnitus and it depends on the person. Chances are if it has been a month or so I would prepare for the long haul, thats just my opinion though. Anyways, hopefully its the former for you and you can enjoy silence once again.

3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @user5871 Depends on the cause, as Bertman noted, and also the level of severity. Constantly monitoring it and becoming anxious and distressed are obstacles to improvement.

I've read all sorts of timelines about when tinnitus is considered chronic. Six months seems to be the consensus. But like all afflictions, everyone is an individual and what holds true for one person may not be true for another. There are instances where people have had tinnitus for two or more years, and then - poof! - it vanishes. We should all be so lucky.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      user5871

user5871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      If I've had consistent tinnitus for 5-6 days (consistent volume and always there), is that pretty much a permanent thing?

It makes very little sense to me, as I have been careful with noise over the past few months and my tinnitus was pretty much gone. It had been a reactionary thing at night due to long days of audio exposure. But now it's settled in 24/7 and is not budging.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It sounds like your tinnitus as spiked and can be due to a few things but should settle down again soon if you haven't put your ears in any danger like loud sounds.

Doctors dont usually send people to ENT for tinnitus till have it 4-6 months unless you have other symptoms as it could go....lots of love glynis

6. Devin Barrus

Devin Barrus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Audio
      I've had a few mild episodes last an hour or two but recently was awoken from my slumber after mixing audio loudly late at night from a pretty nasty high pitched tinnitus. Its stayed consistent for the last few days but mild enough to be washed out from the softest white noise at times. Most likely it will always be somewhat apparent. Hearing damage is irreversible and the signal your brain is getting will always be there. It seems the difference is time and adjustment. People get "used" to the sound or in otherwords your brain learns to mask the signal as much as possible. It just takes time in my reasearch.

7. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Are you taking any medication at the moment?