How Many People Have Committed Suicide on This Forum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      How does any of this help the original poster who is suffering and considering suicide himself?! Does anybody even care?

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'm sorry for getting drawn into a debate about stats but sincerely hope @jdjd09 finds the help he needs. It's not nice to see anyone suffering and crying out for help. I really wish there was more I could do than offer words of support.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      No, you wish that to be the case. That's the problem (because the outcome of the study doesn't suit your belief system). Clinical Otolaryngology is a scientific journal, not a 3rd grade essay.

It is peer reviewed. Why do you need to prove something which has already been proven. If there wasn't basis for the conclusions in the article, it would not have been published.

Do you also need to prove the existence of gravity twice? I think once is enough - if done to scientific standards, right?

4. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

all of them could be published, go into the researchers curriculum vitae, maybe someone would do a meta analysis with all of them. Maybe more researchers around the world would do their own papers, which would take years.

In the end, the most we could say would be: "There is evidence of correlation". Which is very different from "T causes suicide". Maybe someone would look at the data again with a different method and find a whole different conclusion. That's how real science is done.

You know, I had some luck. I got published, met some very smart people, even talked to a Nobel winner or two. Getting T was hard, I let go a book contract. But I know my math and this sole paper says nothing.

As for the "Edge of Science", I notice he started ignoring me after I criticized him elsewhere. Funny thing, he was all happy when a "Celebrity" clicked on a Facebook post of his, before discovering who was the said "celebrity". Science and Sciency are very different things.

@Michael2013 I agree with you. As I have a good understanding of scientific literature, I decided to post only to call it as I see it. I don't want people to think that one article summary is a whole scientific conclusion.

If you're thinking about suicide, please reach for a Doctor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Exactly @Zug. I still don't see the relevance to all this or how one study based on 17,446 people concludes anything.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      No thanks, that is just plain sad. Things can get better or worse over time, depending on many factors. In this particular case, a young man could go from suicidal to functional. I guess that's worth putting one's ego aside -agree.?

And that's just offensive behaviour. It also reminds me of some recent scientific article I stumbled upon. An interesting read indeed:
      https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...rolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I feel it's time to lock this thread as something that has gone past its usefulness and supportiveness, hopefully the thread starter got some insight into what they were looking for.

Should someone wish to discuss this decision more, please feel free to PM me.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1