How Often Do I Need to Replace Earmuffs I Shower In?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GoatSheep, Feb 25, 2022.

1. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Currently having to shower in earmuffs to avoid pain. I briefly take them off with earplugs underneath to wash my hair. I try to shower as fast as possible and not get a lot of water on them.

When I’m done I don’t put on the same earmuffs. I let those dry out. Do you think I should be concerned with minimal water every 2 days causing mold or any other bacteria?

I am not showering daily because of avoiding things that may cause pain.

2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I don't have an answer to your question, but here's how I do it;

I shower everything except my head with earmuffs on, then I fill the kitchen sink completely with water to minimize drop distance and quickly wash my hair with only foam earplugs.

I don't have pain hyperacusis, but try to mitigate tinnitus spiking from the low level sound.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Has your hyperacusis improved at all?

4. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Yes, my loudness hyperacusis is headed in the right direction! I'm just still very careful with certain activities, like showering.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Yeah, spiking in 24/7 protection is driving me crazy. I normally take a children’s Melatonin that my kids occasionally take because it works for me too. It’s only like 1 mg so I take a couple.

We ran out and I had 2 other bottles of Melatonin here. They are adult versions so higher dose 5-10 mg. One was actually a prescription my ex-wife had and the other just some store bought brand.

I took the store brand and that night got a spike. I looked at the ingredients and it has B6 in it. I can only assume that’s what caused the spiking or some other filler. So then I took the prescription the next night and it spiked me even worse. God knows what’s in it, I figured it would be purer in all likelihood because it was prescription. In both cases I didn’t sleep at all.

So I took Clonazepam the next night because it quietens my tinnitus and I was able to sleep, but then when it wore off I’ve got a hiss that may or may not have been mixed in with the other spike tones driving me crazy in my right ear.

It’s like anything that can go wrong is going wrong for me right now. I’m so wound up and I can’t calm down.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s wonderful man! I’m really glad you’re turning the corner, I love seeing good news like this. :)

• Agree Agree x 1