How Soon Should I Look Into TRT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rudy, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      So I've had T and H for almost 2 months. Is it too soon to look into TRT or would that be recommended at this point.

2. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      I would have thought that TRT could be started from the moment T&H started. I mean you could wait and hope for natural habituation?

• Like Like x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Can't speak to TRT. Maybe @Dr. Nagler can. When I did Neuromonics (also a sound therapy), they recommended I wait until six months from onset because yes, some tinnitus just goes away on its own. But you don't want to wait too long because the more time goes by, the more your brain is solidifying the tinnitus response to damage within your auditory system.

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Actually that is a surprisingly easy question to answer.

TRT is a protocol that facilitates the habituation of intrusive tinnitus. In experienced hands the success rate runs in the neighborhood of 85% as documented in a number of independent studies. That 85% figure pretty much holds regardless of how long you have had intrusive tinnitus before you start TRT.

So first of all, if you have tinnitus but it doesn't really bother you (i.e., if it is not intrusive), then TRT is not for you at all.

Next, it is important to realize that within the first year or two 85% of folks with tinnitus habituate it to a greater or lesser degree on their own.

So here's the deal ...

If you are truly suffering from tinnitus and are compulsive enough to absolutely have to know that when you habituate your tinnitus, it was due to TRT as opposed to "tincture of time" - then wait two, three, five, ten, twenty or more years. It's totally your call. Then if you do TRT, you'll know for sure that TRT was the reason you habituated. Of course the price you will have paid is the two, three, five, ten, twenty or more years of unnecessary suffering.

On the other hand, if habituation is the important thing rather than specifically why you habituated, then I see no reason that you should suffer even one more day than is absolutely necessary. And I would go about finding a knowledgeable and experienced TRT clinician ASAP.

Here are two posts of mine that might shed additional light ...

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/overcoming-obstacles-to-habituation.6886/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/thoughts-on-trt.7863/

Hope this helps.

stephen nagler

Addendum -

From time to time the question of conflict of interest arises when I post about TRT, since I myself am a TRT clinician. I would point any concerned in that regard to:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-retraining-therapy-trt-financial-disclosure.6281/

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Doctor.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what is the difference between TRT and Neuronomics?

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      You are welcome, Rudy.

Just one additional note by way of clarification. My post only spoke to timing. There are of course a number of other factors to take into account besides timing. For instance, let's say you have intrusive tinnitus, but you cope with it quite well. TRT is absolutely not a coping strategy - but if you are coping well, then maybe you don't need to consider a habituation strategy like TRT at all. Bottom line: TRT is a "want to" and not a "have to."

stephen nagler

8. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You have been very helpful to myself and others. I very much appreciate your response.

10. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Glad to do it. I've been in your shoes.

stephen nagler

• Friendly Friendly x 1