How to Cope with Prolonged Periods of Time at Home Due to Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by starrynights, Oct 3, 2020.

1. starrynights
      Creative

starrynights Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unsure but more than 2+ years.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to music too loud; concerts with no protection.
      I experienced my second major spike almost a month ago and since then I have rarely left my home to let my ears recover. Whenever I would leave my home I noticed my tinnitus would spike a bit even with ear protection on possibly due to anxiety, sensitive ear canals, etc. but I have pretty much stopped living my life for a month due to the fear of going out and experiencing another tinnitus increase whether temporary or permanent. The reason I am so anxious to begin with is because I live in a very noisy neighborhood in a noisy city and loud noises are frequent as well as unpredictable (ambulance sirens, loud car honks, etc.)

I’m not sure if I am going about this the right way and I know its easy to just tell others that you can’t let tinnitus control your life but given my circumstances and anxiety its hard not to. The new sound from my spike hasn’t completely subsided either so I don’t want to risk exposing myself to loud noise and reinjuring myself.

How can I cope with being at home for such long periods of time while recovering my ears? Everyday is so mundane and just passing me by, it is even more depressing because I’m young and I look at how people I know who are my age are out living and enjoying their lives, while I have to live in this bubble of constant paranoia. I know this will not last forever but I feel so miserable and alone right now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Undergoing the same thing right now.... just try and find yourself a space where you can do something you enjoy and is "safe" in terms of any kind of startling noises or other things that might cause anxiety. Have some scented oils or something that will stimulate the senses to break up the mundane.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you are!
      Why not do something for your future - take online courses, or learn something that's useful to you by reading books, etc.?

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I am in a hotel for the same reason - home is too loud. I keep the TV on every hour I'm awake. Helps distract me and feel tuned into the world - mostly watching CNN.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      starrynights
      Creative

starrynights Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Must be nice, hope it is helping. I essentially live in the loudest neighborhood in Upper Manhattan, take a guess?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      starrynights
      Creative

starrynights Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My anxiety has caused me to only occupy enough space in my brain for tinnitus. It's been exhausting, I'm going to have to most likely let go of a job I was really looking forward to having because of this. I really want to do those things but it's so incredibly hard right now.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      starrynights
      Creative

starrynights Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for the suggestions. I hope we can get through this!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Makes sense.

Did you get a spike recently, or has your tinnitus actually lasted 5 years? If it is the former, have you experienced any improvement since the spike began?

I can relate to feeling bad about lost time. I would say that tinnitus has obliterated two years of my life. Life is short, so it's depressing that that has happened. But if it's Just a year or two for you, and eventually you get to have your life back, then it could have been worse and there will be reason for you to be thankful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do go outside, but with earplugs. Those made of foam will lower a 110 dB sound to around 80 dB. You're safe at 80 dB, especially since a siren or horn will only last for a few seconds.