How to Determine Whether Tinnitus Originates from Physical or Medical Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pinky329, May 18, 2022.

1. Pinky329

Pinky329 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all! I am on this quest to finally figure out what has caused my tinnitus over the last 7 years or so. Balance issues have erupted so now it's a must.

My issues started after some dental work 7 years ago. The next day or so I noticed my ear was filling with fluid, pulsing, ringing and feeling full. I assumed it was just a result of my mouth having been open for so long since my jaw was sore afterward. So I figured... something physical (sore jaw) had caused it. But the issue continued and many ENT visits later everyone told me my ear looked and functioned just fine.

Fast forward a year after my ear started acting up and I woke to a very heavy headed feeling that made me dizzy anytime I tried to sit up. It was on the same side as the ear issues, so I assumed they were all connected. An ER trip helped with the dizziness and an MRI was scheduled that came back clear.

I've had minor bouts of positional vertigo here and there since, but in February I had an episode that resolved as normal... but left the top right side of my head continuing to feel heavy, being pulled on, weighted, etc. Tinnitus has been present throughout, and I had gotten used to that. The ear also feels plugged up most of the time. It's weird... doesn't feel blocked with anything, just like its closed up. I go to a neurologist tomorrow... happy to get the ball rolling.

It seems there are so many options, issues, answers, lack of answers that it gets overwhelming. I've read how people have fully recovered from things as simple as taking vitamins or anti anxiety meds to others who have needed surgery and then of course those that just suffer as they are constantly trying to figure it out.

My big question is, how can it be determined if tinnitus is from a physical issue (I'll just call it that for lack of better term) such as tense jaw, tense neck that is maybe pinching something, etc. versus a medical issue such as vestibular issues from a sickness or Meniere's disease or something of that nature?

It's overwhelming to begin this process. I'm trying to remain optimistic but have been awfully panicky lately. I keep convincing myself one minute that it's more of a mechanical issue with my jaw or neck, and the next I'm figuring it must be my ear and some sort of issue deep within my ear.

Any advice appreciated!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinky329

Pinky329 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GregCA, thank you so much for your response and the link. I appreciate it!