How to live everyday life!?

Discussion in 'Support' started by KarinSanna, Apr 10, 2013.

1. KarinSanna

KarinSanna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Hi,

I just got T for about two months ago... Or maybe a litte bit less. It is really not that bad. The sound itself is quiet low and as long as I am around people or a fan (and not stressed) it really is ok. I can not notice it then. When I sleep I use a masker and I listens to a documentary and it is no problem to fall asleep. I am really trying to stay positiv and not freak out. I am trying to go on with my life as normal as possible. But the thing that holds me back is fear. I am so freaking afraid that the sound will get worse. I am even afraid to go to a bar with earplugs. I am scared to go to a store with loud music. I am afraid to be out for to long since I do not want to get tired and make it worse. How do you guys live your life? Can you still do all the things you did before? Can you go to the movies and do stuff like that? Be around larger groups of people? Now days I hate that people talk so laud ans scream? This really is the worst part for me!!! And I feel so alone in this right now. I have to study since I am at an exchange semester abroad and have no choice. So trying to stay positive is the only way, even though I would rather just end it somedays when the fear is to big (would not do that though, but I guess you know the feeling!).

My T is the result of a night out with to load sounds. Do you know if it is possible for it to go away? I was also very stressed at the time, so that might have contributed. I can not get an answer of the doctor if my ears are more sensitive now than before or if they are the same. Before I could go to the movies or be at a cafe or dinner with my friends without damaging my ears, can I still do that? Or do I need to be at quieter places now. How does it work? Anyone who knows? I just want to be able to live just as normal.

I am also wondering if you tried vinpocetine and if you found it any good? And if I should try and that in fact would make the T worse would it decrease if I stopped? Do you have any experience about that.

And last I wanted to ask if someone else had experienced a lid in the ear (like a more soft sound in the era, like the one you can get on an airplane)? I get that from time to time in my ears since the T showed up? Is that related, anyone knows?

/Sanna

2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sanna,

When I first got my tinnitus, I had the very same feelings as you. I wore ear plugs anywhere there was sound I deemed too loud. I got to the point where I didn't wear them in a movie, as most movies weren't too loud. I did notice that IMAX movies were crazy loud and I always wore them in there though. In that aspect, it didn't seem to bother me. I did go to a lot of bars that had music playing and a lot of ambient noise, although that didn't bother it much either. You have to be your own gauge over what you think might be too loud. Pack a pair of ear plugs with you if you go out, and if you have to yell to talk to people in a bar, it's probably a little too loud and you should pop your ear plugs in. I found that most movies though you can talk or whisper next to your neighbor and they can hear you/you can hear them so I wasn't too concerned about movies. Most restaurants didn't bother me either, unless there was a live band playing or something. It definitely seems like the times my tinnitus has gotten aggravated has been in loud situations in bars or at concerts when I did not wear ear plugs, and it was too loud. If you follow that advice, you'll most likely keep your tinnitus at that fairly low level and not have any problems! Just keep in mind that you have "sensitive ears" as I like to put it, as most of us tinnitus sufferers do. Why some people seem like they can go to loud bar after loud bar (or work nightly in those places! ahh!) or concert after concert and not have hearing problems is beyond me. Or my old friends who went shooting very frequently and never wore ear plugs... is it them who have tinnitus? At least they've never complained about it or mentioned it to me.

But right now you're still in the initial freak out phase about tinnitus, so many sounds may seem too loud to you at this time. Habituation will change that somewhat, but complacency will get you to where I am... having had that low level sound and now have it slightly worse because of going to a bar that was too loud without hearing protection.

• Like Like x 3
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I tried vinpocetine for about 2 months and it did not work for me which was the same for almost every supplement I took and believe me I tried them all. Don't over use ear plugs! They will just feed into the fear and make you more paranoid. Normal everyday sounds will not harm your ears. I only wear earplugs at loud events, bars or movies but other that that I do not wear them at all. Basically the rule of thumb if it is not obvious like a live band playing in a bar (yes ear plugs for that), is that if you have to raise your voice or someone else has to raise their voice for you to hear them, then it is too loud.

Yes, you can still do all the things you did before you developed tinnitus. T is not a disease but a condition. And just like most other conditions, it can be managed though it make take some time for your brain to adjust to it. I do everything I did before I got T. I go to movies weekly, I go out with friends to bars, I plays lots of sports and I work on computers all day.

Time is your best friend in the battle with T. It takes time, can be slow but if you keep busy doing the things you always have done, it will go faster and you will find that you can live with T. You are not alone, there are millions of us worldwide going through the same exact thing. The members on Tinnitus Talk relate to you, know what you are going through and are here to support you. Just know it will get better.

• Like Like x 4
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hudson & erik gave you great answers already, but I wanted to add...

Yes, it can go away. Completely. So much so that you can't hear it even if you tried and listened. There are recorded cases of tinnitus disappearing even after years of onset.

That's not what you should worry about though... even if it doesn't go away, you will live a good life and return to normal. You can enjoy the activities you used to. You were given good advice regarding the use of ear plugs, and it is important to remember that advice even if your tinnitus naturally gets better in time.

Vinpocetine is said to have some blood-flowing enhancing effects. Ginkgo Biloba is another popular substance that many have tried, but it (nor Vinpocetine) often doesn't help tinnitus... :(

How have you managed with your studies as an exchange student? It's good you seem to be able to concentrate on your reading material, that's what I gathered?

Use common sense and all of the advice the previous posters gave and you should be just fine :)

I wish you'll have an unforgettable and enjoyable exchange year!

Markku

• Like Like x 2
    5. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Sanna,
      How lucky you are to fall alseep. Whatever happened to me.
      I CAN"T SLEEP. its my own hell now.
      I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow again.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      James -- I know how you feel. I'm finally (after almost 3 years) able to get a little bit of sleep each night. It took me a long time to get to this point. If you're like me, the pulsating makes it almost impossible to sleep. There is just no way you can turn in bed that eases the pulsating sound and feeling.

One thing that seems to help is to elevate your head; I sleep on two to three pillows each night. Also, I'm trying to stay away from drugs, so instead of taking a drug before bed, I've found that what works for me is a combination of magnesium (I take two magnesium chloride tablets before bed) and a sleep tablet that contains melatonin and valerian root. It might or might not work for you, but ask your doctor for some sort of sleep aid. It may take awhile to change your pattern from insomnia to a couple hours a night, but it is doable. Good luck, and keep me posted on how you're doing!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13
      James, Hi. I use drugs (prescription) as it is the only way and I struggled with living on two-three hrs sleep for over a month and it really beat me up. I don't like to admit this but I am happy for the sleep I get with Clonaz as it is my only real break from the godawful T. I take a half tab with a tb spoon of Nyquil each night. My days too are as you say "hell"
      Frank

• Like Like x 1
    8. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Plucky, Frank, I read some of your posts. I don't know if I can cope, and your story is over the top. One hour at a time, one night at a time, one day at a time. I just popped my meds, maybe I'll loose my hair, my god. I just laid down, not sleeping, so I get up. Some strong people in here with much support, like Karen, calin, erik, etc! If only the pulsing would stop. I'll see the doctor on Monday, I need a plan to live with.

Not sure if this will change my life, my wife, or my job?
      Those are other stories. Just wanted to say Hi Frank.
      Kind of straying from the thread- How to live everyday life?

9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      James, I've been living with pulsatile tinnitus for 3 years now. When it first started, it was almost unbearable, and very frightening. Also, I had roaring tinnitus along with it.

Now, three years later, it is not gone, but I am able to live a more normal life. Supplements (such as the ones I suggested above) have really helped me, as have finally getting some sleep each night; I average about 4 - 5 hours most nights, but that's better than insomnia. Also, having some type of support system helps a lot. My husband has been helpful and supportive, and so has my immediate family. Being a member of Tinnitus Talk has also been a godsend to me; it has helped me realize I'm not alone in this struggle. I have also recently become a member of Whooshers.com, for people with pulsatile tinnitus. It helps to hear some of the other people's stories of their symptoms, their struggles, and their search for a cure. And, I am regularly going to a chiropractic neurologist, who has helped me calm down my tinnitus quite a bit. Just having a sympathetic practitioner work with me, one who actually listens to me, really helps!

Please don't give up! It will get better with time, and there is hope for those of us with pulsating tinnitus. Some have actually found the reason for the pulsating, and have been cured. I'm not one of them, so far, but life has gotten much better for me. It will get better for you, too!!

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KarinSanna

KarinSanna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      My studies are ok. I think I can manage them, sometimes I am a bit sad and it feels harder to focus. But besides that I really hope I will make it. While I get caught up in an assignment it is ok, but the problem is that the mins so ofter start to think about the T instead. Ofter I can not here the sound if in the library and other sound around.

But still my biggest fear is to make it worse in any way. And the though that I need to worry about this my whole life feels awful. I feel so sad even thinking about it. But I guess as you said time will make it better and will make me get not as nervous... so thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Plucky

Plucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/12/13

Set those concerns aside and just try to sort through all of the information and advise you receive here. This is the best support group I could find. I am sorry I did not see your post sooner and respond. I hope that you are feeling better. I have not been visiting the site , trying to avoid anything having to do with T in an effort to wish it away. I am not succeeding, James, but I am surviving day by day and look forward to doctor appointments. You should do that too and realize that you will get meaningful help here and that the possibility is real that you will get better and that it could go away completely. Let me know how you are doing

12. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Thanks Frank. I agree, some support found here, Thanks to everyone involved.
      A statement I don't get is "that it will get better", perhaps I'm impatience. I find little to lessen my T at this point. Sleep is still a problem, I wish I could sleep on my own without the drugs. Yes, I look forward to my own doctor apts. I wish we all get better, and that modern medicine can help us too. All for now. Back to daily life. Peace.