How to Protect Yourself Against Loud Noises?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What do you guys do to protect yourself against sudden loud noises. I usually bring earplugs for anything I consider damaging for a long time exposure but things such as a motorcycle or car with exhaust flying by you at full throttle. Truck horns that are probably over 130 decibels, and countless other scenarios that happen every day where taking out your earplugs and putting them in is too late.

Also, in general if you are just starting to have tinnitus and haven’t had it for a while could it go away or weaken or does it almost always get worse whether you protect your hearing or not?

2. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      There is a percentage of cases that resolve on their own, although be careful not to put a timeline on anything. Learning to move forward is the first step, then progress will follow. Understand this is not a linear process.

Sudden noises occur almost daily, my posts and many many others will confirm this. You cannot “protect” yourself from life. It will be challenging, as these times, it will spike, but keeping he knowledge that it is a spike, will calm it down sooner than later. If you sense a loud noise you can put your fingers in your ear, cup your hand over your ears or, as I do, close the tragus, the flap over your ear canal. I have read it can reduce dB by about 25. Sometimes, as in a truck horn it just happens.

Go out and live life, protect your gift of hearing and have pleasant thoughts rather than concentrating your T. It will be a manageable part of you.

Best to you.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma