How to Solve ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hannes Alm, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Hannes Alm

Hannes Alm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

So from 2 ENT appointments I've drawn the conclusion that I'm suffering from ETD. I've already tried Valsalva but that resulted in a bursted eardrum. Now that is healed and I don't wanna do those types of maneuvers again.

I've heard chewing gum, nose spray and steam inhalation seem to be the most tried alternatives.
      Are all these safe? Can they cause any harm? What do you recommend instead of the Valsalva? :)

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If you get it as bad as I have in the past (because of allergies) then the only thing that will fix it is time. You have already listed the main remedies, so there’s really not much more you can do other than be patient. It is difficult and I understand the frustration.

I had an endoscopy to see what was going on in my sinuses and they told me that I was badly congested. I was given fluticasone drops that I had to use whilst hanging off the edge of my bed and then had to revert to a spray after a week of using the drops. After a while, this was changed to Dymista because the other stuff wasn’t doing anything. To be honest, I don’t think Dymista was any better, but in the end, my tubes cleared. For me, this will always be an ongoing problem because of my allergies.

Keep breathing in steam, and try adding some menthol crystals. They can help.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hannes Alm

Hannes Alm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am not allergic to anything that I'm aware of. Don't have any other symptoms. My nose is fine and no other allergic symptoms.

I just don't want to *** up anything more. These remedies that I listed. Are they considered safe for your ears? That is: steam inhalation, chewing gum, nose spray (not extensive use)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I didn’t mean to infer you that yours was allergy based. All I can say is that the end result is the same. If you’re clogged up badly it can take a while to drain.

Also, don’t overuse decongestants as they have a rebound effect that can make it worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I've had ETD for about 5 years now with no known causes (did allergy meds and everything). It showed up after a really bad cold (before I got tinnitus) and never fully went away.

I'm currently trying turmeric supplements for inflammation. So far I'm seeing some positive results but I'm not holding my breath and I wanna make sure it isn't placebo. I'll be doing a write up on it soon so I guess everyone will be finding out soon enough if it's worth trying.

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Does anyone here have allergies where the only symptom is dizziness? no other symptoms. Just dizziness?

7. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD

I have an infected eustachian tube, but also diagnosed with BPPV. That will cause dizziness, and I'm doing a series of exercises to retrain the brain. It's early, but they seem to be tied to the T. I was symptom free yesterday, meaning no T. Unfortunatly the barometric pressure dropped today and it's really affecting me, but it always does when that happens. Also, there are a couple of studies linking it to tinnitus. Here is one. http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo-and-tinnitus.pdf

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hannes Alm

Hannes Alm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone tried steam inhalation?

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2019-4-4_6-59-34.png
      Hey Jimbo, did you know that ETD is sometimes a mis-diagnosis. I'm sure some people here have it but
      ear fullness after a rock concert or loud headphones is not ETD, it is something wrong with the inner ear that isn't medically classified, at best it receives the vague title "hyperacusis"

Now Jim Jam, how does it feel knowing research is lagging behind this bad?
      Clueless people riding the Pawel Quacksterboff approved treatment plan.

Some people viewing this thread (probably most) who think they have ETD have ear damage from noise trauma, isn't that quacking crazy?

@threefirefour

10. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD

Yup, I have a Mabis Steamer Inhaler and use a variety of essential oils (not all at once), lavender, patchouli, eucalyptus, tea tree, spearint, and ginger. Go easy, and only 1-2 of each. Also steam in a seperate room if you have pets, some of them can be toxic to pets.

11. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Don't know who you are referring to and don't really care. I know I have ETD, and it ain't from noise trauma bud...

12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      check how many people are diagnosed with ETD after noise trauma, visit /r/tinnitus or go through some old Introduce Yourself's on TinnitusTalk

Attached Files:

13. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      Having trouble tracking? I already stated mine is not due to noise trauma, so why would I want to check it?

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It doesn't apply to everyone, but some people. It's sad how some people who do have noise trauma induced ear fullness are mis-diagnosed and never know the truth.

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      maybe Shim?

upload_2019-4-4_14-4-55.png

Lol but seriously.

16. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor