Howdy Everyone, New Here...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jennyD, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jennyD
      Blah

jennyD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just thought I'd say hi.. hoping maybe it will take my mind off things.

The noises in my head started last night right before bed. I was in bed watching some TV on my laptop.. got up to turn my white noise machine on (I use this almost every night to dampen external sounds) and noticed a higher pitch than I'm used to hearing while the machine is on. I turned the machine off for a moment and the higher pitch sound become much more noticeable. I immediately became worried because I've never had a high pitch sound stay in my ears/head more than a few moments before. It sounds as if I'm standing next to a TV that is on but with the volume off. This is a noise I've always been able to pick up when near certain electronics but turn the electronics off and the sound goes away.

So I finally managed to fall asleep but I don't think I slept very well. And as soon as I woke up I thought about the ringing in my ears. And sure enough it was still there. Going on about 12 hours now.

I know it hasn't been long at all but this is quite worrying. But this is nothing new to anyone with "T" I'm sure.

Earlier in the day yesterday I had been playing with my ear, sticking my finger in it trying to get out some wax. It's possible the noise I'm hearing now is due to that and I've caused some type of (hopefully temp) damage by poking things with my finger. But the noise in my head didn't start until hours later. I'm positive if is not from any loud noises as I did not wear any headphones recently and all day yesterday I didn't do much other than watch TV on my laptop and take it easy. I also know that I seem to have lots of wax in my ears, this has always been the case in life for me.

My balance does not seem to be affected. Nor am I "dizzy". I can almost stop noticing the noise if I leave the water in the sink running. My white noise machine helps a bit but doesn't quite match the pitch and doesn't get rid of the sound but it's better than sitting in a silent room just listening to my head.

I've read enough on this site already to know there will likely be no quick fix (possibly no fix at all). What I'm having trouble figuring out is what ear is causing the problem. The noise seems to be "in stereo" but I want to say it seems to favor my left ear which is the ear I was poking at with my finger yesterday. Can one "problematic" ear cause ringing in both ears?

If it is indeed in both ears would that rule out that it was from my poking my left ear with my finger? I know there's no definitive answers here but looking for responses from people who may have similar experiences.

I've read not to take advil. I feel like I can't "relax" and am starting to get a headache but not sure what to take if not advil. Tylenol perhaps?

I plan on seeing my primary care physician asap. Since it's the weekend, I assume earliest would be Monday. I hope the 2 day wait isn't too long. Then after I see my PCP they will hopefully refer me to an ENT to maybe get a better answer on what's going on.

If anyone actually took the time to read any of this long rant, thanks :)
      I will continue to poke around the forums here in hopes of reading something that may offer some relief, either with the noise itself or just mentally dealing with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @jennyD

Welcome to TT. I'm also a new member and only have three weeks of Tinnitus experience.
      It's very early days for you which is a positive thing. It could be wax build up in your ears which can be removed painlessly through ear irrigation.
      I understand your need to talk about whats happening to you, you've come to the right place.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jennyD
      Blah

jennyD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dave1

thank you for the hopeful words and warm welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In case it is wax build up I would advise you to resist putting anything in your ears i.e. finger, cotton buds.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jennyD
      Blah

jennyD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      absolutely! No qtips or finger poking any more for me. No headphones or loud sounds either. unfortunately, as I mentioned in my first post, I think it was my finger that caused all this. Yesterday I recall poking my ear with my finger more than usual. but the ringing (more of a electronic hum.. less of a "tone") didn't start until hours after I had left my ear alone. Also the ringing seems to be in stereo in both ears and doesn't seem to favor one side or the other.

Because the ringing didn't start until hours later and because it seems to be in both ears I am a bit worried it might not be a wax issue or from me poking it with my finger. But I'm trying to remain hopeful and will see what my doctor has to say on Monday.

I am unsure if I should attempt to put some sort of drops in my ears today or just wait until seeing the doctor before doing anything.

I also noticed I can change the pitch of the "ringing" by straining my jaw in different positions. Mainly, if I stick out my bottom jaw then bite down the pitch will get louder/higher. As soon as I put my jaw back in a normal position the pitch goes back to the constant lower pitch instead. But I will stop messing with my jaw before I make anything worse.

6. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Yeah don't mess with your jaw. AT ALL. I have a similar sound to you, like standing next to an old tube TV with the volume off. I can make it louder by turning my head to the left or any other way of stretching my right sternocleidomastoid. Mine comes from my right ear, but I do notice that some mornings it seems to come from my left, only to switch to the right after I get out of bed.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @jennyD

I wouldn't use ear drops until you see your doctor. My doctor advised me not to use ear drops that contain hydrogen peroxide. I was prescribed simple olive oil.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Jenny,

Welcome aboard!

Get to the ENT as soon as you can for a comprehensive ear evaluation, including a hearing test. Hopefully, it is just wax and your issues will go away.

In the event that it is not, do not worry because this forum is the best in the world when it comes to all things tinnitus related. Tons of support here!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jennyD
      Blah

jennyD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

I will be going to the ENT as soon as possible. I'll have to see my PCP first and she should hopefully refer me to the ENT immediately for further testing.

I really do hope it's ear wax or ear infection related. That would seem a bit more possible to recover from versus some unknown reason. Not taking any medications. No ibuprofen etc. No LOUD noises, although now that I think of it I had a bluetooth speaker behind me on my right side that I was using while watching TV and that seems to be the side ringing more at the moment. The speaker was just playing what was on TV, nothing super loud. I'm obviously overthinking just trying to come up with a reason, haha.

I'm trying to not worry and stay positive. I've had some recent anxiety attacks (last week) so I've already been "on edge" all week and now as of last night, ear ringing. It's always something :)