Huge Positive Difference Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed209, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi everyone, I really don't want to jinx this as I have been through an emotional roller coaster the last 6 weeks, but as of this morning and all day today so far my T has gone back to virtually non existent. This is from yesterday being possibly the worst I've ever had, I was extremely low yesterday and just had raging T all day and night.

I woke up in the night and it was still raging away, I found it hard to get back to sleep but I did, then something miraculous happened, after another probably 3 hours of sleep I awoke again and for the first time in a long time I felt really really strange, and reason why is because it was so quiet. It literally shocked me, I even had a listen for it (which I never do, because I try my very best not to pay attention to it) and couldn't really perceive anything other than the faintest background T, which in terms of a difference would be like going from an 8 to a 1 or something.

This has carried on all day and it's now 6:30pm UK time. It's been that good that I've gone overboard and worn earplugs anytime any sound gets near 80 decibels, in hope that if my ears are improving I don't reinjure them if they are fragile.

This may all change in the blink of an eye so I'll keep you all updated. It's just not been this quiet in the 6 weeks since my major spike. I've had quiet days but not like this, this is very different.

My mood has lifted considerably.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      That's really great to hear! Hopefully this is a permanent change for you

3. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For the majority of the people T will resolve itself in 3 months. Gz, you might be one of the majority ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Looks like you have good sign already of recovery. It will be nice if T just fades out. But if it doesn't, to have days like this may mean more good days ahead, as your nerves may have settled down from its hyperactive state. Take anything like this as a positive. Being positive will help reduce the stress level which in turn will help to keep T at a more manageable level. Another thing is that even if T bounces back, which it will likely do so, take these as normal setbacks on the way to habituation. If you mentally prepare for that, you won't be as disappointed when it happens. If you stay positive and believe that in a year or two you will be just fine like many folks, then you can ignore the bumps along the way. That will help you to stabilize your emotions and benefit your coping with T.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I already take everything you say onboard Billie, and I thank you and everyone else for the support. You was the first person on here to reply to me when I introduced myself 6 weeks back.

I realise I could wake up tomorrow and it could easily be straight back to a 7 or 8 again, but having today be a 1 has been incredible beyond belief and completely unexpected. Since this huge spike I'd say my best good days have been a 3 or 4. Constant background noise that can be heard over everything but the shower is what I have had for 80% of these last few weeks. Today I can sit in a quiet room and only hear a little bit of it, but I have to listen for it. It's so out of the blue as well because yesterday I was suicidle. I'd never go through with such an act but it doesn't stop an extremely depressed mind going down those avenues when you hit complete despair.

T just wears you down and I'm glad I found this place to give me an outlet. Whatever tomorrow and the future brings I'll just try and remain positive if it does return. Today was officially the return of the old me, there has been such a difference in me.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      I had a great morning yesterday but flares up later in the day, and today was just awful! When i have good morning I try to sing a song in my head to avoid looking for T. Dont ever look for T! It will come back and you'll wish you didnt look for it.

7. Dante500

Dante500 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2009
      So Ed, how's your T today ? I'm very curious if it was a permanent change for the better for you, and I hope it was!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi everyone, well today is different unfortunately, it's not quite at its worst but I'd say it's at least a 4 or 5. I can generally tell if the day is going to be good or bad based on how loud it is as soon as I wake up to get out of bed. Yesterday was the only day it was as good as GONE, literally. It was barely there. Today it's moderately screeching away, not at its worst but noticeable above normal background noise.

To be honest it's very disappointing, but there's the update for you. It still massively intrigues me how it can go from barely perceptible to obviously noticeable in a single day. For me it's like my brain resets each night as I go to sleep, and I never know what I'm gonna get the following day. Maybe it's based on how good my sleep is; if it's extremely good then maybe I get rewarded with a day of near silence. Who knows, it's complete guess work. I just marvel tho, because hand on heart, yesterday was so different and quiet that for all intents and purposes I was cured. I had a genuine feeling it had gone and today would be the same.

I actually saw an audiologist today to have my custom molds done and had an audiogram done in the soundproof booth. My hearing was apparently amazing, I had 5 decibels on all frequencies except 3khz which apparently in both ears was very acute at -5 decibels. I already knew my hearing was perfect, but the last test I did was next to a noisy road so there was no chance of me hearing the extremely quiet sounds, which the ENT doing the test basically admitted to.

I'd love to have a higher range frequency test done to see if there's a problem there. Although I have read that it can be a brain wave signal problem in people with T called wave I or something. Apparently they test 5 waves (ABR test I think? With lobes attached to the head) and did 15 normal people and 15 people with T but normal hearing. The ones who were normal had a strong I wave (the auditory nerve) and a strong V wave which is in the middle of the brain. People with T and no hearing problems showed a weak I wave but a strong V wave meaning that the actual signal from the auditory nerve was weaker but the brains perception of the sound was still strong.

This implies that people with T and no hearing problems on an audiogram either have hidden hearing problems in the cochlea, as no where near all of our hearing is covered, or we have a weakened signal from the actual auditory nerve going to the brain.

9. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Your T sounds similar to mine. My T is usually very quite in the morning (sometimes I wake in almost silence but it depends on how much I've been sleeping) but at night it gets louder. It's tolerable but sometimes I just wish I would wake up and discover that it is completely gone.