Hyperacusis Returns Every Few Months — Anxiety Revs It Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by ashlee, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for five years now, and I would say most days I have habituated. I don't typically notice my tinnitus other than if I am in a very quiet space, falling asleep, or have eaten something super salty/spicy but it usually resolves to baseline within a few hours.

However, I have bouts of hyperacusis that come on every few months or so. Typically it's when my anxiety revs up, which in turn then spirals my tinnitus/hyperacusis out of control. Does anyone else get this? Is it normal for this to return every so often, and have to work your way through it time and time again?

Thanks!

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The reason for that is that sound processing goes through several filters, and one is the lymbic system that has to do with emotions and also with the meaning that we associate to every sound. For instance, some sounds will not wake you up and a baby crying, at the same intensity as other sounds, will very likely wake you up.

The primary brain associates sound to danger, pleasure, annoyance, etc

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What do you mean by hyperacusis, Pain from sound, or noises sounding abnormally loud?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s not painful, but I’ll notice pitches in random sounds. For example, I’ll hear a high pitch if outside and it’ll just be from the wind or road noise. Something that shouldn’t bother me, but it’s a pitch that I now pick up on when otherwise it was just noise.