Hyperacusis Setback

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulie87, May 12, 2014.

1. Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Guys,

I've had tinnitus and some sound sensitivity which started off initially pretty bad after a concert a few years ago.

Mostly since, I've been careful and wear musicians ear plugs on the odd chance I go to a concert which is rare for me now anyway, and I do my best to live life normally otherwise, just avoiding night clubs.

Last year I had to get grommets put in after problems with eustachian tube dysfunction and horrible popping etc in the ears. This had all been going fine.

Recently I took a plane flight from Sydney to Melbourne and back which as it was only an hour flight on a big plane, I didn't think would be a problem. Ever since, a few days after I got back home, my sound sensitivity feels like it's getting worse and worse. I still can go to relatively noisy places like shopping centres etc, but music sounds distorted as anything whenever there is a higher pitch sound, and I feel sensitive to higher pitch noises. Particularly some people who speak with a bit of a lisp or saliva when they talk, seems to be irritating me as I can just hear the sound which I can never remember hearing before. My Otologist Professor Paul Fagan in Sydney did all the usual hearing tests and said I have very good hearing and nothing obvious which is causing the problem.

Does anyone know what I can do to get some sort of treatment for this? Does anyone know what could be causing the hyperacusis or dysacusis as my Otologist called it, to be a problem all of a sudden? What can I do to help? I'm getting married and going on my honeymoon to the USA in about 6 months time, I just want to make sure I do whatever I can to stay healthy and not get worse. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hi Paulie,

Have you considered pink noise therapy?

Or TRT?

You may also want to send a question to Dr. Nagler in our Doctors' Corner. He is specialized in TRT.

The following is from here.

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 2.03.22.png

3. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      Look into sound desensitization therapy for the hyperacusis. :)

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

4. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      I hear loud noises louder but no pain is that hyperacusis or phono phobia?