Hyperacusis & Tinnitus Worse After CT Scan with Contrast

Discussion in 'Support' started by AvidReader, Sep 15, 2022.

1. AvidReader
      Tired

AvidReader Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/TMJ/Meniere's??
      Hi everyone!

I've had tinnitus for over 15 years & had pretty much habituated. Around seven months ago it suddenly worsened to what I can only term a fire alarm sound & decibel. It was hell & lasted about 2 weeks. I saw an ENT on emergency appointment & all they could offer me was an MRI. I declined.

The noise eventually turned into complex musical hallucinations with engine/wind/occasionally screaming- like noises over the top. I also have hyperacusis especially in the right ear & have been wearing ear defenders around loud noises. I cannot stand anything louder than low voices without it causing painful sensations in the ears & making my tinnitus level worse. The ENT insisted I needed a scan & we eventually agreed on a CT with contrast. I was reassured by others (not on this site) who had had CT scans that they were pretty much silent.

I had the scan last week - it was not silent. I'm not sure if it was because it was a mobile scanner but there was a high (or it sounded high to me) level of ventilation noise. I was wearing earplugs & was told the scan would be quick so I persevered. The machine itself made a loud whirring noise every time it started up - I lasted as long as I could but I had to signal to them to stop the scan & had a panic attack due to the noise & pain. I am due back to the ENT in about a month's time for results (thankfully they said they had enough detail to work with even though I stopped it early).

Since then my tinnitus & hyperacusis have been horrendous & it takes hours for me to fall asleep. I cry every time I wake up thinking about the day of hell I have coming up. If this is going to be my new normal, I'm not sure how I am going to be able to live with it long-term. I'm not religious but I am praying for it to return to what it was before. I feel let down by my ENT who pushed for the scan & the fact that I went for the quiet option but still got worse.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      That's a terrible situation you are in. I imagine there is a kind of meltdown in your brain.

It's difficult to say what was the actual culprit. Your state of mind (anxiety), the noise, hyperacusis, or the contrast. Was it iodine or gadolinium? What are the side effects?

It seems you need some further explanation from your ENT. And I understand what you are going through. But some of the events what caused the increase could be just temporary. Most of the time being hopeful, calm, rest, time, etc will settle things.

How are you doing today?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AvidReader
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Johan82,

Thanks for replying. I'm still struggling.

I think it would help to know why this is happening, but neither me nor my ENT have a clue as to why my previously stable tinnitus suddenly went haywire earlier this year, but 'brain meltdown' describes it well.

They gave me iodine-based contrast & I had no reaction to it at all (they told me I may feel a warmth when it was injected but felt nothing) but I believe it was the noise of either the ventilation or the power supply for the scanner that has caused this escalation. My 'classic' tinnitus which sounds like the engine noise etc mimicked the noise from the scanner for approx 24 hours before returning to the engine/wind noise but it is definitely louder since then. My musical hallucinations have always been pretty full on, but when both the 'classic' & the musical tinnitus are loud, then all bets are off for those days.

I'm supposed to see ENT end of this month, providing they have my scan results by then as told 4-6 weeks for results, so fingers crossed. I'm hoping it's a temporary worsening but it's still loud at the moment & my hyperacusis is back to where it was 6 months ago.

It's difficult to get other people to understand just how bad it is with these conditions if they haven't experienced them. You may look fine on the outside but in your head it's 24/7 torture.

Thanks again for checking in with me, it's helpful to speak to people who can understand.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. ChristyG2023

ChristyG2023 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I’m sorry this happened to you, and can sympathize and relate as I had habituated to my tinnitus since 2014 when it all began, but recently have had a huge flare-up after a routine dental appt in which they used a very high pitched tool to clean my teeth.

I’m going on day 4 of the flare-up and mornings are the worst with it.

May I ask how you are doing? Have the symptoms improved any?

Wishing you well and relief of symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 5
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AvidReader
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh no, @ChristyG2023. You have my sympathies as I dread having to have any dental work done. I've gotten away with just check-ups for the last 2 visits but have to have X-rays next time. I hope your flare-up settles down soon.

Mine is still the same - very loud MES & the usual tinnitus on top with severe hyperacusis. Just had a fraught appointment with Audiology which didn't go that well as I think that their advice doesn't differentiate between severe & mild forms of hyperacusis & tinnitus. What works for mild may not work for severe, but I get the impression they think you are just being difficult. Mine's also very reactive & painful so sound exposure is not great.

So still no TV, no phone, no music. Basically housebound apart from medical appointments. I keep going from day to day though. One day it may improve.

• Hug Hug x 2