Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Steroids Treatment Started within One Month

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Piotr Kownacki, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Piotr Kownacki

Piotr Kownacki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Hi, I'm 34 and I am from Poland. It is in the middle Europe ;)
      After my comming back from Borneo (Mount Kinabalu 4095 meters) on 10th of March 2012 I had otitis media disorder and maybe otitis interna (two doctors-different diagnosis). I started taking antibiotics: firslty amoxicillin and later ciprofloxacin. Meanwhile I did Valsalva maneuver to check if my otitis membrane is damaged (March 26). I did it to strong and from this time i had problem with ringing in my ear. Every day was worse and worse. after week i went to another doctor and she diagnosed tinnitus. I was prescribed steroids (encorton) and polvertic (for blood pressure inside otitis interna). Simultaneusly I started on 5th of April hyperbaric oxygen therapy (15 days x 1.5hour). I would like to add also some electrostimulation but there is no any clinic doing anything like that in Warsaw. I know that tinnitus is very difficult to cure but if you tried electrostimulation or any other method and you would like to share your experience .... I really believe that I still have a chance. My hyperbaric oxygen therapy ends on 19th April... I still believe

2. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Hi Piotr, how is the HBO treatment going as I have an option of doing this also. Have you noticed any improvement yet?
      Thanks,
      Sean

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Piotr Kownacki

Piotr Kownacki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Hi Sean, It is too early for me to say if it helps or not. after infection in my middle ear and too heavy Valsalva maneuver I needed very quick treatment. Unfortunately I started farmacological tr and HBO after 9 days. After 8 sessions in hyperbaric chamber there was some problem with the xxxx (I dont know this word in English-the canal joining throat and middle ear) so I had to stop HBO. Most probably steroids caused that my organism had very low level of immunology response and some infection in my throat started again along with a rush in my body. I felt very bad but it was not caused by HBO of course. BTW I decided to start HBO because it is covered by my medical insurance (15 sessions x 1,5 h). I have used 9 sessions so far and have a break now till i recover. Now I dont take any pills or even diet supplements. Today I have a hearing test. I think that I hear much better now than before treatment. Before I had -20dB at low pitched tones and -30dB at 8 kHz in my ear with tinnitus. In healthy ear it was -10dB at all frequencies. Now I feel that at low frequencies my tinnitus ear is at -10dB and at 8 kHz is between -25-30dB.... For sure i hear better but dont know if it was caused by drugs, Hbo or by ...time which passed from the infection... About my tinnitus. It is still inside, but it is too early to say about its intensity. Hmm... maybe I am getting used because I have no problem with sleeping. It is all new for me. I don't know yet. Next days I decide if to start again hbo. Anyway next week on friday i m going to fly to Spain and am really afraid of it. I take all medications just in case. Sorry for my English. It is not too good but I hope that this info was helpful for you :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Piotr Kownacki

Piotr Kownacki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      btw. there is also another treatment similar to farmacological approach in effectiveness. It is electrostimulation of the inner ear. the effects after 15 sessions are similar to 30-day therapy with betahistine. Both electrostimulation and betahistine if helps ...it is usually known after first 30 days. I had 10day therapy with betahistine and steroids and I just have better hearing. Tinnitus still is... but its intensity is different.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Piotr Kownacki

Piotr Kownacki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      How much is HBO in your country? In ppoland and germany Hbo therapy is recommended only within 3 months from the day when tinnitus started

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      In Finland HBO is about 1000€ for 8 sessions, if I recall correctly.

It's not that cheap here, joe got it way cheaper in the UK :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Piotr Kownacki

Piotr Kownacki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      1000Euro!?!?!?!?! wow. hmm. it is difficult to suffer in Finland. Anyway in Warsaw it is only possible to attend hbo if it is prescribed by a doctor within national health service. It means that nobody may pay for it like for a private treatment. i think that in Ukraine and Belaruss or Kaliningrad you may get it very cheap. If you really want it, try in Minsk Belaruskij. Go there for a month. It is really cheap. I think that it would cost less than 150 Euro per 8 sessions (excl bribe hehehehe)

8. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Ok Piotr, thanks for reply.

9. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Im not completely sure, but isnt ciprofloxacin quite ototoxic?

Might be worth to look up.

10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      ciprofloxacin gave me tinnitus its the worse.