Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Great! What was the time between onset and starting? How many dB? Hearing improvement comes before tinnitus loudness reduction... According to the physician at the HBOT facility where I got my treatments healing goes on for approx. 3 month after last treatment...

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single Sided Sudden Hearing Loss
      20 days between onset and starting, which was a little slower than I would have liked. Hearing thresholds at onset - most frequencies was 115Db (1K to 8K), lower frequencies (0.25-0.5K) around 60-75dB. So not much getting through. Word distinction was 0%. Did a follow up test 3 days later (started steroid treatment as well) and there was improvement to 80-95Db thresholds. Pretty much stayed there, drifted slowly down over the next 20 days. After HBOT it seems that there have been more significant improvements, but certainly it could be post effect of steroids, and/or just time. Hearing test this morning - lower frequencies (0.25-0.5K) - normal hearing (!), 1K-4K, around 55dB, HIgher frequency (6K, 8K) - 60-70K. Word discrimination ~25%.

The tinnitus frequency is 8K+, so you are right, I would not expect it to get better unless I see more significant improvements at that frequency, which hopefully is coming. My insurance approved 30 HBOT treatments.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown maybe loud volum vai ear plug
      I am gonna take my first HBOT session (2 hours 70rmb) tomorrow morning. 20-25 days after onsite. can't hear sound above 11 kHz. I will report the result. Doctor of nerve internal medicine told me it was a regular treatment for hearing loss before, now it is only optional treatment. She doesn't recomment HBOT to me because it may cause deafness. However I would like to take the risk to grasp the tiny chance. Any tips or supplements for HBOT session would be appreciated.

4. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After 1 HBOT session, whooshing/buzzing in left ear transferred to right ear. Still got high frequency noise in right ear. But my tinnitus in left ear disappeared. Hope it never comes back.

Most people inside the HBOT have hearing loss with tinnitus. And they said HBOT did work for hearing loss but not sure for tinnitus only. One patient said her husband got tinnitus without hearing loss. He took ginkgo and Methylcobalamin (a form of vb 12) after 7 days onsite. His tinnitus disappeared after 20 days of HBOT. Lucky Guy.

5. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Had my last session (20th) last Wednesday. You can't expect results after 1 session... First your hearing will improve... Then tinnitus will follow... hopefully...

6. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How is your tinnitus now? Now no tinnitus in left ear. I just updated my report.

7. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after 2 HBOT sessions,my T went back to the level before HOBT treatment. Maybe need more session. One patient got gas inducted T. Her T disappeared after two sessions.

8. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Protocol is that you need 10-20 treatments... I think when you need only 1-2 to solve your problem you are very very lucky!

9. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T spiked after third time acupuncture last afternoon,and still spike now after HBOT TREATMENT this morning. Someone in this thread mentioned it may not be a bad sign.

10. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cease acupuncture and my T didnt improve after 6 HBOT sessions

11. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Sorry to hear! Did you try corticotioid (predinisone)? Starting with 60 mg 1 week and then tapering with 10 mg?

12. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
    13. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many thanks for your info, my hearing in normal range is very good, not sure if I should take this one. and I will take 20 sessions just dont want to regret in the futhure.

14. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hope you will get benefit from HBOT! Keep us posted.

15. Codaz

Codaz Member

Well bad news, I got back from the hospital and my left ear has a ski slope in the hearing test.

-40 db on 250 and 500hz and the 1k is -30 I think. Upper frequencies are "okayish". Right ear is normal (the TMJ ear).

And this is after 2 rounds of steroids. A third is starting tomorrow. The doc said to immediately start HBOT to hopefully restore some hearing.

Thing is: my T is a very low hum. It was a hum last year until 2 weaks ago when I turned sudden deaf for no apparent reason. Then my hearing fell down a lot.

HBOT is effective only in the first 2 months after onset they said. The therapy takes 5 days of 2 sessions a day.

More when I know more.

16. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Twice a day... That's another protocol than usual. I hope it will help!

17. Codaz

Codaz Member

How much sessions did you do? It seems that you got considerable improvement. It is unclear which improvements are due to steroid and which due to HBOT? My word distinction after the first round of steroids was 80%.

Did they order an MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma?

18. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had a fever since last weekend, as a result, have to cease HBOT, will take the next HBOT round in one or two days.

19. Codaz

Codaz Member

I discussed to do an hyperbaric test run first tomorrow. I'm quite worried because Valsalva method does nothing in my right ear. My T is 90% gone in that and 65% gone in the left ear (after sudden deafness).

I DO want my hearing back but not new T or other ear problems. So I'm quite scared.

Today I started my new prednisone course of 12 days (64mg 3 days, 32 mg 3 days, 16mg 2 days and 8 mg 1 day)

20. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still ongoing, I've done 23 sessions so far. There was some improvement after about a week IIRC. MRI was normal. And yes, I don't think it's a given that the improvement is coming from HBOT. Could just be after effects of the steroids, or just time. I did not start the HBOT until after the steroids were completed, but the full effect of the steroids can take longer than the course of the treatment.

21. Codaz

Codaz Member

Are there any absolute DONT's for HBOT?

22. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They will go over it with you I'm sure. Probably depends on what type of chamber they are using. For the full body chamber, no lotions/deodorants/jewelry. You should not be smoking over the course of the treatment as it impacts the effectiveness. They also check my ears before and after each treatment to make sure there is no irritation. So far there have not been any problems. As for the Dr that told you it may cause deafness, I've done a fair amount of research and never heard that, and my ENT and the Dr at the hyperbaric facility never mentioned that as a risk.

23. Codaz

Codaz Member

I'm worried about my forever runny nose. Been in a CT scan for the sinuses: no result. They never found the link to TMJ (which is in the papers) I'm really worried about equalizing pressure. They opted to make a small hole in the eardrum in case it gives any problems. But that's weird as a punctured eardum isn't something you would want?

24. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not a Dr, so take it for what it's worth, but intratympanic steroid injection which is part of the standard treatment, also leaves a small hole in the eardrum (which I had). It actually helps with HBOT since there is no need to equalize pressure in the ear that has the small hole. It heals in a couple of weeks. It's no different than putting tubes in, which is routine for kids that have frequent ear infections.

25. Codaz

Codaz Member

Well the Dutch health authority didn't approve intratympanic injections over oral prednisone intake saying no statistical difference. It could be that it is indeed better. They didn't even approve HBOT for hearing loss or T so I'm travelling to get it. Is hearing affected with a hole in the eardrum?

26. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not that I know of but ask your Doc. It's probably a tiny hole, so I wouldn't think it would cause any measurable hearing loss. I did not notice any difference, but my hearing was pretty much shot so I don't think I would have noticed. Keep in mind that this is a pretty mainstream treatment for sudden hearing loss, so it's hard to imagine that it would also be the cause of hearing loss.

27. Codaz

Codaz Member

Well it's kinda mainstream but not in the Netherlands. Saying no scientific proof. My foreign ENT said well if anything should be scientifically proven first we might as well postpone everything 20 years. And every patient is different in that essence. They said to me patients with a wound are put in, after radiation therapy, and so on. So many different patients, so many outcomes. Treatment in The Netherlands is possible though. @Jan64 is doing it now.
      There are various centres but costs are quite high and I would like to follow the rules of the game for now. Plus I don't have the money to do 20 sessions at full price. The hospital offered me a price which is high, but acceptable. The alternative is 50% deaf so it's worth a try.

28. Shem

Shem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually, what I meant is that intratympanic injections are mainstream, not HBOT. In the US it's not very common. As far as intratympanic injections, there is plenty of literature on both sides, some saying it is not more effective than oral steroids alone, others claiming the opposite.

Against: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29168028
      For: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29165312

There are many examples on both sides. I'm sure the same is true for HBOT, but most of the papers I have read claim benefits as long as the treatment starts somewhere around the first two weeks after onset.

29. yahoo888

yahoo888 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      just finished 9 HBOT sessions.I notice my T hissing/statice electric always spikes right after HBOT treatment. while buzzing/whooshing tone seems a bit better only for a short time.

30. Codaz

Codaz Member

Just finished my second session. 8 to go. First session was quite heavy. There is so much to learn and pay attention to. I'm going to write a tutorial later.

Combining the medrol with HBOT is quite heavy as I have some vertigo issues. That's why a doc didn't approve me yesterday.

So far cannot tell anything about improvements. Other patients say that you are too focused on spotting improvement and just need to let it do it's work.