I’ve Managed to Quieten Down My Tinnitus After 20 Years

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Jon P, May 5, 2024.

1. Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I’ve been hesitant to write this, but after 6 months of experimenting, I’ve found a combination of cheap amino acids that really seem to help with my tinnitus, making it go from a 9/10 to a 1/10.

I’ve got no idea if it will help others, but:

When I started taking amino acids to help build muscle and longevity, my tinnitus really quieted down. Over the last 12 months, I’ve stopped and started, and each time, my tinnitus has risen and then quieted.

My tinnitus is not gone, but it has massively reduced in volume.

I take L-Citrulline, Taurine, Collagen peptides, Magnesium L-Threonate, Glycine, and Leucine. All of these are very cheap and available online.

I recently stopped because I had included Creatine and wanted a kidney function test that would not be messed up by the Creatine supplement. But I had forgotten how loud my tinnitus was, so I took the amino acids without Creatine, and the tinnitus went quiet within 4 days. It’s not “instant,” but equally, you can skip a week easily once it’s quiet.

Good luck! I would love some feedback from other people.

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      What are you doses? I have tried Taurine 3000 mg and Glycine 1000 mg in the past but discontinued after they didn't help my tinnitus or sleep.

3. Yeshua7

Yeshua7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Shooting/COVID-19
      So, you were taking Creatine along with the other supplements as well? If so, did the Creatine have any noticeable effect on your tinnitus once you resumed taking it, or did you stop it altogether?

4. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Thank you for sharing. There is absolutely no reason to be hesitant. It may not help many, but it can help someone!

Can you indicate the doses? I tried Taurine, and on both occasions, I think it worsened me. Out of the things you listed, Taurine and Glycine are the ones most likely to get you a result due to their effect on GABA.

Do you really not know what caused your tinnitus? Do you have any hearing loss?

• Like Like x 2
    5. JeffToob

JeffToob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma head.
      I'm glad you pushed past the hesitation and shared. That's amazing for you! I hope it lasts!

Whatever your cause, your symptoms, and now your treatment, it's helped you. None of us may be able to produce the same results ourselves, but that's not what matters. It gives me hope that there is still a way to improve—and 20 years in! We have to try what we can and keep avoiding the exposures under our control.

Thank you for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      The L-Citrulline has antiviral effects and improves nitric oxide.

Taurine is a precursor to GABA.

Magnesium blocks NMDA, stabilizes mast cells (lowers histamine), and relaxes smooth muscle.

Glycine, from memory, is a partial antagonist of NMDA.

I'm unsure about Leucine.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Interesting. I've only tried Taurine and Magnesium. The former doesn't really do anything; the latter helps me relax a little bit.

I might give Citrulline, Glycine, and Leucine – because why not, I suppose.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Standard "off the packet doses." I suspect it's the L-Cirtulline, but I don't know. It's obviously just an N=1, but if it helps...
      I stopped Creatine about three weeks ago when I went to Germany for two weeks and didn't take any supplements alone for obvious reasons. I had decided to stop all supplements to get a better kidney function test (Creatine screws up eGFR) - but my tinnitus got really loud --- I started on the above amino acids but NOT Creatine. It's lowered my tinnitus by 90%.
      Right—just an N=1. If it helps anyone else, fantastic. In 20 years of dealing with this and trying EVERYTHING, this is the first time ANYTHING has worked. Even if it's a placebo, I'll take it. As said before, it's not "gone," but it's really, really quiet.

Each day, my tinnitus has reduced in volume. It is not an "instant" cure, which kind of gives me some hope that it has a real effect.
      • Micro Ingredients Taurine 2 g
      • Sports Research Marine Collagen 10 g
      • Thorne Magnesium Bisglycinate 3 g
      • Nutricost L-Citrulline 3 g
      • Nutricost Glycine 3 g
      It seems I'm not taking the Leucine. I forgot about it as it's not in the freezer with the others.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Note
      Wishful

Note Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, microsuction
      From 9/10 to 1/10 is impressive. However, Taurine, Magnesium L-Threonate and Glycine had no effect on my tinnitus.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm so sorry. Did you try them at the same time?

11. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      Interesting. I'm on Taurine and Magnesium myself, but that's more to build hearing protection.

I might experiment with this. Thanks for sharing.

12. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it's a placebo, you should have encountered that before with things you have tried over the last 20 years. And it's still working for you over a year later when you have stopped and restarted. I have tried many things myself, mostly for sleep, sometimes for anxiety or tinnitus, and I never even get a placebo effect. That's a pretty amazing drop from what you describe as a 9 to a 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      If anyone is going to try this cocktail of supplements, I'd strongly suggest you follow the dosage EXACTLY as the original poster; otherwise, it's pointless. These specific doses could cause some odd chemical reactions.

To illustrate my point:

I can make pancakes: I mix flower, milk and eggs and they turn out great!

Response from another person: I tried mixing flowers and eggs and got no luck, so it's probably just some coincidence you ended up with pancakes.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    14. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Thank you for the detailed information! Do you take the above once daily?

Also, what caused your tinnitus?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I blend a head of kale with water and the concoction and usually drink it at lunchtime.

It was so long ago that I don’t remember what caused it; I have a vague recollection of it starting when I was boxing at a local gym, not getting hit, just hitting a bag with a trainer, but, as I said, so long ago...

There is one thing: normally, when I talk about tinnitus, read about tinnitus, or pay it any amount of attention, it immediately gets louder. This time, taking the concoction, it’s staying at a very low volume, very ignorable. That’s a first.

16. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Thanks for the information.
      You are this envied type; I keep reading that, and it sounds sci-fi to me. I always hear my tinnitus unless I am super absorbed in something, like a conversation at work where I really need to concentrate. Doing anything else that requires concentration, like programming or debugging very complex systems, is not enough to block my tinnitus. These days, the shower barely blocks it.

Thinking or not thinking about tinnitus does not make one bit of difference to its volume.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Maybe it’s the 20+ years I’ve had it; it comes and goes. I always wear Apple AirPods to go to sleep and also during the day. Listening to a podcast distracts me from the tinnitus. Now, after the concoction, it’s a constant very low “hiss,” not an extremely loud 14 kHz whistle. I hope this continues; after this much time, I have little confidence that anything really works, but this is looking good so far.

Previously, my tinnitus was at such a high level I couldn’t hear what people were saying to me. It was like I was losing my hearing. Maybe what I now consider a very acceptable low high-pitched hiss would drive people crazy, but for me, this is welcome relief; I guess it’s all relative.

I do remember the days when it was a “shower loud.” Recently, it’s been a “light rain” loud, and now it's a “remote drizzle.”

I once got an iPhone sound generator and matched the iPhone's frequency and volume to my tinnitus, mainly so my wife would understand that I wasn’t ignoring her. She ran from the room, screaming at me to turn it off.

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      There was a sale, so I just ordered 1 kg bags of all of them except Magnesium (I still have plenty).

I'll update you in a couple of weeks.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Note
      Wishful

Note Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, microsuction
      Yes, I did.
      It would be safer not to wear AirPods or headphones.

• Like Like x 1
    20. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over 20 years for me. It cycles in intensity and which sounds/tones I hear on no set schedule, but it never goes. It doesn't change if I think about it. Exercise will make it worse for hours, though.
      That's kind of how I feel when I hear Tinnitus Mix. :LOL:

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wow, 1 kg bags. That's a commitment. Good amino acids regardless.

Good luck. I noticed my tinnitus getting quiet in 3 or 4 days. I wish the best for you.

• Like Like x 3
    22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How did you arrive at the doses you take?

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It is the standard "longevity" dosing. My tinnitus improving was pure happenstance.

I slept very little last night and noticed my tinnitus was louder this morning, but it was still not at crazy levels.

24. Yeshua7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Shooting/COVID-19
      Is there any reason you decided NOT to start using Creatine again? Was it causing a spike in your tinnitus, or just not helping in some way?

I have some Transparent Labs Creatine I used before my tinnitus went crazy in January this year, so I may try it again.

Thanks!

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      No—I had a standard blood test, and my Creatinine was way too high, despite having a good eGFR using Cystatin C. I decided to flush the Creatine out of my system and retest eGFR using Creatine (just double checking eGFR both ways). I'm a big Creatine fan.

26. Yeshua7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Shooting/COVID-19
      I appreciate the reply. Will you start using Creatine again, or will you leave it alone for now because the other supplements are working?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jon P

Jon P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm 66 years old, run 6k daily, and CrossFit thrice weekly. I will definitely be getting back into Creatine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Impressive. I hope I'll be able to do that at age 66, too.

I've been taking the amino supplements for about a week now. I haven't noticed any improvements.

The recommended dosages are identical to the ones you mentioned. It does say that all of them can be taken 1-3 times daily, though.

How often per day do you take them?

• Informative Informative x 2
    29. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Is it Magnesium L-Threonate or Bisglycinate? And 3 grams? So you take like 6-12 pills?

30. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      How long did you try Tinnitus Mix?