I Am Going to Try Positive Affirmation App Instead of Masking. Join Me and Tell Me How It Goes.

Discussion in 'Support' started by SeekIngAlpha, Sep 27, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      As an experiment, I'm going to use positive affirmation app instead of masking... Join me and tell me how it's working for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Hariz Nonis
      Sleepy

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Errr... what exactly is that?

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      When I first came down with my tinnitus, I had terrible anxiety and rolling panic attacks. I put an app on my phone of meditations targeting anxiety. One 10-minute section involved affirmations, which really are the same thing as positive self statements used in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It helped tremendously. If I was having a bad day at work, I would go out to my car and run through my affirmations. I always felt better.

That was three years ago. Today, I still have the app on my phone, but I use it rarely. However, I also have a masking app on my phone that I use somewhat. Tinnitus still encroaches on my work day sometimes and when it does, I listen to that masking app. Can't really do affirmations and work at the same time.

Let us know how the affirmations work for you, @SeekIngAlpha.

In CBT, it helps to have affirmations targeting your specific condition or problem -- but I couldn't find any for tinnitus. Anxiety was as close as it got. My therapist and I, however, wrote affirmations specifically for me on index cards that I would carry around and use when needed. Those helped, too.

4. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not working...why is that everything I touch turns to shit?

5. Michael B

Michael B Member

SA, I applaud your efforts in exploring alternatives in dealing with tinnitus. Positive affirmation is a great idea whether you have tinnitus or not but remember that T is not an easy thing to deal with and sometimes masking is the best way of getting through the tough times. I would suggest continue with both.