I Am New to This Forum, for 2 Years I Have Had Constant Tinnitus, Plus Essential Tremor.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NanNorma, Mar 11, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. NanNorma

NanNorma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does anyone know if there is a correlation between Tinnitus and Essential Tremor.
    2. Aussie Lea

Aussie Lea Member

Melbourne Yarra Valley
      Tinnitus Since:
      I've never heard of that connection, did yours start at the same time?

Welcome to this site
    3. Cheza

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @NanNorma - I did a little research and found very little online, usually just anecdotal remarks about someone who has both conditions. The only somewhat scientific connection I could find is in the article: http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/tinnitus-care-what-should-i-13109

Excerpt from Questions and Answers section:
      I have heard of Ruldolpho Llinas, a well-known neuroscientist, who has indicated there is evidence of things called low threshold calcium spike bursts. Those are based on EEG activity and signal-unit recorders deep in the thalamus. This is evidence of abnormal firing in the thalamus that corresponds to essential tremor and movement disorders, as well as other types of treatment-resistant neurologic problems, likely including depression and tinnitus.
    4. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Essential tremor is usually hereditary, it just becomes more noticeable with age. I don't think there is any known connection, but if it is caused by a genetic mutation, then I wouldn't rule it out completely.