I Can Turn My Tinnitus 100% Off with a Single Tone

Discussion in 'Support' started by RicoS, Aug 3, 2014.

1. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Ok this might sound weird but it works 100% for me. And no it's not a cure cause it only last about 5 minutes but it gives me 5 minutes of complete silence.
      As lot of you people may have done this, downloading an app to mask your T.
      I found an app to generate a tone called "Stop Tinnitus" in the PlayStore.
      I downloaded it and the user interface was pretty simpel so I put my headphone on and tried to find the tone closest to my T.
      The app looks like this btw:
      screenshot_2014.png

This is also the setting of the tone I hear in my head.
      When I listen to this for about a minute or so and I take my headphone off and put my fingers in my ear it's completly silent !!!!!! As if my brain or innerear did not make my T because the exact sound came also from outside. After 5 minutes or so I can hear it slowly come back. In the evening when my T is the loudest the last 3 days I use this app or before I go to sleep. Sleeping for me was never a problem so 5 minutes of complete silence is enough to fall a sleep.

I also tried other frequencies and if it does not match my T ....my T stays the same. But when I put almost the exact sound in my ear for a minute it is just not there for 5 minutes or so. I even tried to use is for an hour and listen to this sound ....because it't the same as my T so it didn't make a lot of difference, but also after even an hour it just stayed away for 5 minutes.
      I'm no doctor or whatever, but to me it realy looks like if my brain says :"Well you give me this sound which I normaly make for you so I just quit for now because you already giving it yourself"

Is there anybody else here who has this exact same thing. I just cannot be the only one who tried this...am I ????

The 5 minute releave makes me another person because I know that I now can have 5 minutes of complete silence. The positive thing I also think is .... "If this works....perhaps it's possible to tell my brain never to make this sound again....the problem is how??" It gives me a feeling that something in my head is overactive and stop being that if I give it the exact same tone as my tinnitus.

I hope some of you might want to try it. I don't think you have to use only this app, but any tonegenerator which can mimic you T would do.

If you have questions let me know?

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Rico.
      Sounds like residual inhibition. Activating your auditory contex in other ways cause your T to disappear. I have that when I listen to crickets or if I am in the garden with the lawn trimmer. Or sometimes after taking a shower.
      But for me it is only silence for about 5 seconds, not 5 minutes.
      So maybe you can listen to the app in intervals and get breaks from your T.
      And maybe after a while T disappears longer than 5 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just watched this video
      TODAY SHOW with Dr Stephen Nagler 1997

and William Shatner also says that he used a maskingdevice that was almost the same as his tinnitus and after a while his brain learned to ignore it. So perhaps it's the same with my tonegenerator also.

Martin69: Yes it's almost 5 minutes every time and I try to see if I listen more to it my tinnitus becomes less or stays away longer. It;s just that one tone that does it...every other tone does not have effect on my T..... very weird!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wish I heard the same sound as shatner...shhhhh doesn't sound so bad!

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend of mine has the shhhhh sound and he says it's realy loud. Mine sound like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but perhaps both are not what you want *laugh* you just want silence.
      But............ has anybody tried what I did with the tonegenerator. It's 18:49 in the Netherlands now and I notice my T is a bit louder so I used the app....and now I have 5 minutes of silence. It does not matter how loud my T is it still works.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Thanks Ricos,this was an interesting selection you put up,will get family to see these,as fair few got no idea what it is we hear all day every day,the maskers William Shatner showed are like the same I've got,Thought Dr Nagler explained it well ,let's hope more comes from this being shown to the public.Thanks again
      .ps I've got hissing T,all noise is aggravating with T

7. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I have also installed the app now. My T is much higher. Difficult to find out, but definitely above 8000.
      Very high-pitched. Nothing can mask it. Unfortunately when I listen to it, my T only disappears for some seconds.
      Overall, I still don't know what the right strategy is, masking or listening to T full power getting used to it.
      But I think, since TRT recommends sounds, better to have some sound in the background running.