I Developed Tinnitus 3 Weeks Ago — My Mental Health Is Suffering Tremendously — No Clue on Cause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Melissa Rowlson, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Melissa Rowlson

Melissa Rowlson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I’m just looking for a little positivity and help in dealing with tinnitus. I developed tinnitus in my left ear 3 weeks ago and my mental health is suffering tremendously. I passed my hearing test and have no clue what caused it.

I did have fluid in my ear for about a week and when it went away is when the tinnitus started.

I’m so scared it’s not going to go away. I’m having such a hard time coping.

Please only positive feedback. I don’t think I can handle much at this time. I just need to know that this will get better with time.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Fiona barker

Fiona barker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine started a week ago..after a night out..I recognised the symptoms straight away as I have had it before but it went away the next day..but a week later it hasn't gone away and the ringing is driving me mad..I'm just not used to it..I cannot cope with it..last two night I had the radio on low classic fm so I could sleep..I cannot focus in the future if this continues

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. dougwarby

dougwarby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ive had mine for 7 weeks in my right ear. It is also affecting my mental health. I do notice it is a bit better when I am occupied and I am trying to meditate and keep busy but it is a tough journey. Hoping for the best for both of us

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Hello, sorry about your suffering and mental health issues, but I'm just here to inform you about the whole "hearing test complications"

Recent research indicates that hearing test used at most audiology clinics and ENTs are extremely inaccurate and outdated, they only test for hearing loss within the human voice range, learn more here about hidden hearing loss

http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

upload_2018-12-7_17-10-50-png.png

entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png.png

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595516302507

You cannot outrule hearing loss as a culprit. Get a mental health counselling, call a hotline, talk to anyone that will listen, I'm not being negative I'm just suggesting a likely possibility that caused your tinnitus, I am not a doctor but this is what research suggest that the vast majority of tinnitus cases are caused by a loss of hearing.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It should get better with time. Check out the studies linked to on the pages of the thread below
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

Also, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      for more tips that will help to ensure that you don't do any further damage to your ears
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Warm welcome to the forum. You are at the right place as many of us understand what you are going through. We have been where you are when our tinnitus first hit us. Your mental struggle is quite common among newer sufferers. Many of us worried about the future too and that added to the suffering. However, if you want positive news, look no further than the Success Stories forum. It is loaded with good news of people who might have suffered worst symptoms than you and then get better after some time. I am among those after being hit with sudden ultra high pitch T and severe hyperacusis. Both T & H turned me into a mess mentally and physically. I had relentless anxiety and panic attacks daily and I had to survive each days on drugs. I never thought I could recover and see good days again. But here I am today living a normal, happy, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. I am now writing you from my vacation in Florida. I never thought this possible during the darkest days. But never give up hope. I am not a lone case as many of us wrote our success stories to share our experience and strategies. Check them out. I include link to my success story below. So don't panic nor despair. Better days will come. Believe it. Give it some time and try follow the good strategies. Take care God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I don't know the exact cause of my T too. I have some hearing loss in the high frequency not all with hearing loss will get intrusive tinnitus. There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, acoustic neuroma tumor, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol, gluten etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.