I Don't Get My Tinnitus Volume. How It Reacts to Noise. Can Someone Explain This to Me?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Xorthian, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      So im on 75t to 85 db train right now. Ican hear my T in head (white noise/crickets/scratching) very clearly. Its only maybe twice as loud in 35-40db quiet room. Its weird. However i cant hear at all my tonal T sound.
      On the other hand when im in that quiet room my tonal sound is twice as loud or even more sometimes than those crickets. I will test this today in hotel room later but damn...

Its weird. so question is why second noise is perfectly maskable despite being louder in when there is low environmental sound while second is almost always the same.

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      T is not a real sound, it's created by our brain. So sometimes making is not normal : i think the train, even loud, can't mas your high pitched cricket sounds, so your brain "Highlights " them.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've stopped sleeping with a fan mostly lately (something I'd done my whole life, long before I had T). Anyway, I notice that in a dead silent room my T usually seems very quiet, maybe 10-20db louder than the very quiet room sounds -- but as soon as I turn the fan on, it then seems 10-20 db louder than the fan.

What's odd is that the T doesn't actually seem any louder with the fan on, the nature of the sound itself doesn't really change.

4. Eltel

Eltel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/14
      I can hear mine whilst driving with a radio on and window open ,if I stop and turn everything off my T is much quieter and I think how can I possibly hear it whilst driving .Same happens mowing the lawn with a petrol mower (with ear defenders ) .Strange and annoying

5. Tha_b_man

Tha_b_man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2009
      There is absolutely no figuring out T. Once you commit yourself to that way of thinking, T becomes a lot easier to deal with. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2