I Had Tinnitus for Many Years, Then Sudden Increase in Volume

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rodstar43, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Rodstar43
      Asleep

Rodstar43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1976
      I first asked about the "ringing in my ears" back in 1976. I was told that I had hearing loss at just above 4,000 Hz and that was caused by firing the old M1 rifle in basic training. Back then, the Air Force did not give you hearing protection. Every hearing test since then showed hearing loss at that same frequency. I was able to put up with it. I also have had chronic headaches since 1968.
      In or about 2011 the volume of the tinnitus sound quadrupled. It really did not help the headaches but, that is another story.
      I finally found a Tinnitus Clinic. A clinic with the sole purpose of helping tinnitus sufferers. This clinic was at the University Texas South Western (UTSW) in Dallas, Texas. Finally, a sympathetic ENT doctor who also suffered from this problem was listening to me. He convinced me to try special hearing aids. These HA helped with hearing the 4,000 Hz frequencies and at the same time gave me a masking sound that I picked out. It has been about a year now and I find that they do help. By supplying the frequencies I loss they are supposed to retrain the brain. So far my old brain has not been retrained. Time will tell.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      G'day Rodstar,

It's possible that I'm a tiny touch younger than you (judging by the fact that you've had tinnitus since well before I was born!) but our stories are very similar.

I've had tinnitus for a long time too, and it never really bothered me, But late last year my volume suddenly increased many times over, so that now I have a ferocious-sounding high-pitch drilling going on 24 hours a day.

My hearing also drops off at just above 4,000Hz. It's interesting to note that hearing aids have helped you, because I've just trialled a pair for two weeks and found that they made my tinnitus worse.

Anyway, I salute you for having coped with this condition for so long. Hopefully I can do the same... or better yet, medical science finds a cure!

3. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      My Tinnitus bilateral hearing aids definitely help with my hearing issues and at times, with the T.
      With that said, once the T spikes & is loud & high, nothing helps, including the masker. I drink allot of water, try to rest up & pray for it to pass. I take note if I've had some high salt or sugar foods too.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      Update to horrible Tinnitus spiking.
      Once the loud T became a 24/7 issue, I was getting desperate & went to a chiropractor who specializes in cranial therapy. I had tried cranial therapy once before, but it seemed to actually make the T louder. But as I said; I was desperate.
      This time, I was interested in the sacrum area as it was hurting and I wondered if it was related to the T. As it turns out, it was. The doctor suspected I had & tested me for a compressed Vargas nerve. My Vargas tone was low, which made the T loud. It doesn't cause the T, just makes it louder in my case. He gently but firmly worked on it (very painful at first) and other areas of my sacrum & head.

I had complete relief for 5 hrs after I left his office. It did gradually come back, but less severe. I see him once per week and the T has receded in the background from a 24/7 8-10 to a 3-5 most days. Some days it's a 2. I'm sleeping better & longer & don't wake up with the T screeching.

• Like Like x 1