I Have Pulsatile Tinnitus. Looking for Doctors in N. California That Understand Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lvc595, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Lvc595

Lvc595 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Do you know of a doctor that can help ? Please let me know. Most think I have Tinnitus but it's not.
      Would love to hear from you.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lvc595

Lvc595 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you live in California please let me know what doctors you have screen that understand that a Pulsatile Tinnitus is not Tinnitus.
      If you are in Northern California it would be nice to connect.

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/11
      My tinnitus pulsates also. What do you mean it is not tinnitus? What should I do about it?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Cookie --- Doctors often tend to treat all tinnitus patients the same, when pulsating tinnitus is vascular in nature. Pulsating may have a different cause, and some cases are highly treatable. Finding a doctor who understands this can be challenging.

Lvc595 -- I'm not in California, but if you don't receive any responses here, you might try looking for a good neurotologist in your area. They have more specialized knowledge, and may spend more time working with you to find a solution.

I've tried that here, and had a lot of tests, but so far, no answers!

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I thought pulsitile tinnitus was tinnitus sounds that have a pulse rhythm with your heart. That is what mine seems like.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Me, too, Calin. I have more than one sound going on in my right ear right now --- a heartbeat pulsing sound, and a steady hissing/ringing tone. They are both going on simultaneously.

7. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Interesting. I belong to a tinnitus discussion group, and one woman has pulsating tinnitus. She has made a point that her's is different than "regular" tinnitus. I seem to recall that she thinks it sounds of like blood flowing. I've read that some experts think that some tinnitus sufferers are listening to sounds in their body. I don't think this is too common.

My tinnitus started in my right ear. Now that ear is pretty much a hiss. But the left ear (which didn't have tinnitus before) now has tinnitus, louder than my right. The left ear initially had almost a pulsating quality, but it no longer pulsates.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Karl --- That's interesting that you had a sort of pulsating quality in your left ear. I think some of us pulsating tinnitus sufferers may just have an abberation of "regular"tinnitus. In my case, that may be true, since various tests have turned up nothing of note. I have both hissing, like you, and an undercurrent of pulsating. My pulsating used to be stronger; it felt more like a drumbeat than a whoosh. It is a little bit softer now, but there is still a vibrational quality to it. It sounds like a soft drumbeat now.

You're lucky, by the way, to have found a tinnitus discussion group in your area. I wish there were one around here! It really helps to have the support of others in the same boat, and I'm really grateful to have found all of you at Tinnitus Talk!