I Have Reactive Tinnitus — Am I Making It Worse with Pink / White Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ignacio, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ignacio

Ignacio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unexplained
      Hi all,

I've had reactive tinnitus for 2 months and a week. Sometimes I think I might have hyperacusis because the tinnitus itself is so mild. In quiet / normal settings, it's a 1-2 max (sometimes I even have to plug my ears to hear it). Oh, and it's irregular / intermittent - changes every 1 - 2 seconds (characteristic: chirps, whisps / hisses).

But here's the kicker: when I am exposed to loud "white noise" type sounds like driving, trains, AC / fans, etc., it goes up and turns into an oscillating hiss. As soon as I seek "shelter" - meaning, a quieter place - it starts to go down right away. It takes about 30 - 60 minutes to completely quiet down.

I've been using pink noise at night - and sometimes during the day - as I hear that is what is used to treat hyperacusis / sound sensitivity. Am I ok doing this? Or is there the potential to make things worse? I haven't noticed any real change as it's only been a week or so, but wanted to check before I mess things up. I have the tendency to get ahead of myself and I've only had T for a little over 2 months.

Cheers,
      Ignacio

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I listen to pink noise at times, and the volume is very low. I also have reactive tinnitus and the low volumes, doesn't increase my tinnitus volume or give me a worst spike. This is my own experience and I can speak for my own findings - when listening to masking, I have always had my volume much much lower and it has been beneficial for me. Having the brain hear another sound besides the layers of tinnitus sound(s), can be very soothing. The duration of time, spent listening to the masking, depends on the person.

You are doing well, keep up the good job!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ignacio

Ignacio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unexplained
      Thank you @fishbone for the encouraging words. Given the fact that my T is so low and intermittent, I am hoping that it will continue to get better and eventually disappear. I have come to terms with the fact that my ears will forever be compromised, though - and I am taking the necessary precautions to ensure maximum protection.

4. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I’m my experience of reactive tinnitus, and in a word YES!

• Like Like x 1