I Have Tinnitus in the Other Ear Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hotaru, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      What is happening to me? I'm absolutely terrified.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      If you're terrified, it means you're panicking. If you're panicking, your brain is just going to ramp up the tinnitus because it thinks it's doing you a favor by sending out the noise alarm. Please consider medication short-term. Xanax has been a godsend for many folks on this forum, but of course be very cautious with it. Take the least amount possible and make sure you taper off. Never stop Xanax cold turkey; it's the worst thing you can do.

As for the tinnitus starting up in your other ear, that's just the unpredictability of tinnitus. It will bounce around like that. One ear, the other ear, both ears, the middle of the head, top of the head, back of the head, sometimes everywhere together. Again, try your very best to distract yourself.

Right now I have a freakin' wasp swarm in the upper right quadrant of my head. It's been getting louder as the day goes on. I can't get any work done, but I have managed to deal with it by messing around with word apps on my Kindle, trying to read, watching Netflix for a couple hours, washing dishes, calling a friend and just chatting about the day, plus I took my dog to the chiropractor and was so focused on her during the treatment that I actually didn't notice the tinnitus very much at all. Unfortunately, the treatment only lasted 10 minutes. :)

Someone on this forum once said that if he threw a cobra on your keyboard, you would totally forget your tinnitus while dealing with that emergency. In other words, it can be done. It takes a lot of mental discipline, but what you have going in your favor is that the tinnitus is still new. Don't underestimate your strength to deal with it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      It's strange, because I've had anxiety all my life, and I've had legit panic attacks, I had one recently when my grandpa was sick and my grandma had to spend the night at our house. But that passed quickly and life returned to normal and I was calm. Then this happens, and I'm pretty calm through it at first, thinking it would go away. It was only when two weeks went by and no change was happening that I started to get upset about it. Of course, I've had anxiety problems come out of nowhere before, and then I wonder, was it anxiety or was I really sick? Just thinking to myself here. Also, didn't know dogs had chiropractors. Wish I'd known that when my dog was alive, she might still be if we took her to one.

4. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tibberz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      The first 3 months are the worst, at least they were for me. I had panic attacks almost daily for the first 2 months and the 3rd month I started to get a grip on the emotions and the panic attacks became far fewer. The thing that sucks about T is that its unpredictable, it can either go away, get louder, both, or do anything :/

Most important thing to do, like Cheza mentioned is to distract your mind and try not to worry (worrying about it only makes it louder, it happens to me when I start getting too upset over it). Im 9-10 months into my T and today I can only recall being bothered 2-3 times and that didnt last longer than a minute or two (and it was triggered by surroundings suddenly getting silent when I wasnt actively doing anything). The rest of the day I was completely oblivious.