I Have to Wait Two Weeks to See a Doctor!

Discussion in 'Support' started by chvrlotte, Nov 7, 2014.

1. chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Hi! I'll start off by saying that I noticed a slight hissing in my right ear after listening to some bassy jazz fusion back in August. It didn't bother me too much (it takes a fair bit to rattle me), so I didn't worry too much. Eventually (I think?) it went away. I honestly didn't really notice. However, this past week it's been unbearable! I remember it starting after listening to some loud trap music (but only one song, and this was one of the first times I'd used full volume since August). I called my doctor, but because I live in a rural area (sigh), he can't see me for another two weeks. In the mean time, I don't want to accidentally make it any worse than it has to be! Here's the low down:
      -I ate a LOT of Halloween candy this week. Probably full of MSG, sugar, and anti-freeze.
      -I listen to headphones (at a lower volume than before, but it's hard to gage how damaging it still is)
      -Apart from the mild hissing, I've never had tinnitus that's lasted longer than like a minute
      -I spend a lot of time playing music (especially jazz guitar)
      -I'm an 18 year old female (apparently it's easier to recover when you're younger? Nice.)
      -I eat a pretty well balanced diet (apart from the Halloween candy...)
      -I take melatonin often (even before tinnitus)
      -My mum and little brother often have issues with wax buildup (runs in the family), but I don't remember having any serious problems with it
      Based on that, what tips have you guys got that might help me sleep better, and deal with the "eeeeeeeee"? How should I prevent any further/permanent damage? And if you're feeling psychic, how long do you think it will last? (I'm hoping not more than a year!)
      Thank you all so much. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      To sleep turn on a fan maybe try so music that will make you relax. Try not to worry about it till you see your doc .I know that hard to do but stress and anxiety makes it worse trust me .I've had T for quite some time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Thanks for the reply! I'm trying not to focus on it, every day it seems to get easier because I'm more used to it.

Do you think it's okay, in the mean time, to listen to music through headphones or otherwise at a reasonable volume? Or should I give my ears a complete break for a few days?

4. cmkc109

cmkc109 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Are you able to hear that sound when you are outside ?
      I have the ringing sound too but it is only noticeable when I am at home alone but it is still very very annoying :/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Back in August until September, I didn't really notice it unless I was alone, and even then I taught myself not to concentrate on it. Now it's kind of like I always need to make an effort not to hear it.

6. cmkc109

cmkc109 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      oh yea me too. its only been one week and I'm already annoyed by it. I'm just 20 so I don't want to live my life forever with that freaking annoying sound.

7. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I listen to headphones a lot but not to loud what also works good are pillow speakers and the sound of rain are something like that

8. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      But mine is pretty loud and that the only way to get away from it unfortunately

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      My feelings exactly! I'm 18, my life of partying has just begun! From what I've read around the forums though, as long as we take care of ourselves now, the tinnitus should back off. Because we're so young, we have a bit of an upper-hand in healing. :)

Interesting, I'll have to look into a decent pillow speaker then. Even if the tinnitus doesn't last, it sounds pretty good for stress relief.

10. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      They work great some day if your ears hurt or your worry the headphones or bothering them

11. cmkc109

cmkc109 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Update me on how you are doing later! It is always good to have someone to talk to about tinnitus.
      My friend (same age) told me that she had this ringing in the ear too but she is always used to it.

12. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi. I would give your ears a complete break for a while. I'd also ease up on the headphones a lot.
      I've read a couple of your posts and it seems you're coping well and that you're t can be easily masked. I'd love to have t like yours. Mine is loud and high pictched. It's also unmaskable.look after your ears from now on.you don't want my t.
      And I'm not phycic. In fact I'm not even sure I can spell it. But I predict your tinnitus will go on the 23rd of December.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Today I noticed that it's gone down to the usual volume (a subtle ringing that I don't really notice). Let's hope it stays there, and hey maybe that'll back off completely!
      Yeah, my dad told me that after all the years of wild performances and onstage explosions, it was monitoring through headphones that gave Pete Townsend tinnitus. It's the fact that the sound is so damn close!
      Oh mysterious! I'm definitely intrigued. That would be so cool and eerie if it did. :)

14. periphery
      No Mood

periphery Member

I listen to music a lot and I haven't noticed my T getting better or worse. It's a great distraction for me personally. I know a lot of other people say they can't stand it and it makes theirs worse, but I think if it helps you cope and you're not blasting heavy metal, go for it.

15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      As long as its at a low level and you have maximum isolation. Your T may subside but I'm giving you a fair warning as someone who was always cautious but still had T get worse from playing...always wear ear plugs and if it feels too loud you should probably leave ...it is not worth exacerbating the problem...

16. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      When researching tinnitus I found out not only pete townsend has It. But also Niel Young, Bob Dylan, Phil Collins, Will iam, Chris Martin and ozzy ozbourne has it.