I Just Don't Understand Why My Ears Are So Reactive

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What about tinnitus that goes up when I am talking (sensitive to my own talking!) or deep breathing? Is this reactive tinnitus? I am also sensitive to some sounds during conversation.

2. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Lilah

Reactive tinnitus is when some normal moderate or low level sound will cause your tinnitus to spike over the actual sound you are hearing. It will always be louder than the actual sound you are hearing like talking, climate control sound, tv sound etc. One may have reactive tinnitus from any sound or some specific sounds.

I have had tinnitus for almost 2 years and hyperacusis for 5 months. Sometimes my ears hurt from some normal sounds but even then my tinnitus would not spike. In other circumstances my ears would not hurt that much but tinnitus will spike. I can have unbearable pain for 2 weeks but my tinnitus wouldn't change at all.

I believe that anyone who suffers from tinnitus has some sort of reactivity but someone can have very low reactivity while someone else can have very sensitive tinnitus.

In my case bass from the speakers is the worst thing for my tinnitus. I remember in the days before my onset of hyperacusis I could stay in public places where the sounds were reaching above 80 dB but my tinnitus would remain the same and most of the times when I was listening to music at home to low volume my tinnitus would change instantly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1