I Just Want Peace and Quiet Again...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kuriboh1981, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/Slight hearing loss/Who knows at this point?
      So I just got back from my first ENT appointment. I have some slight hearing loss in the higher ranges in both ears, and the ENT thinks that is what is causing the tinnitus (which is only in my left ear) and that I'll never get rid of it but I will learn to tune it out. I'm just feeling so hopeless right now. Never having peace and quiet, never knowing silence again, that's a hard pill to swallow. That last shred of hope that this might go away is gone, and I don't know how I'm going to cope with this for life...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Kuriboh1981 don't give up hope. It is still possible that your T will go away. secondly, the vast majority of people live lives where they are not conscious of their T for the grand bulk of the day. @Dr. Nagler says that he is conscious of his T around 5% of the time, and I've had @Dr. Hubbard tell me personally that he hears his T only when he listens for it, and is conscious of his under 1% of the time. After only 6 months, I'd say that I'm conscious of mine maybe 50--60% of the time that I'm awake, and that only when I'm in fairly quiet rooms and also not actively doing anything (i.e. I can clean my apartment or eat dinner and not hear my T, but if I'm just sitting for a long time and watching TV, eventually I hear it.). The first few months of T are the worst. But keep a positive attitude (as positive as you possibly can), and you're very likely to feel a lot better in just a few months. And probably completely better in about a year.

• Like Like x 1
    3. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Trust me, in a year you will feel the opposite.

4. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @Kuriboh1981

You will learn to have a new kind of peace and quiet as you will learn to accept it... Can you mask your T ? How long have you had it for ?

We all go through "desperation highway" at the beginning, but for most of us it gets better with time as you will adjust and your brain will eventually push it in the background most of the times...

It took me 9 months to "habituate", but eventually I made it and I could not have believed it at the beginning of this journey.. Meditation helped me to work on my acceptance, and nowadays I am mostly fine...

I really wish you well... Take care of yourself and protect your ears...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. I haven't had T for very long, about a week and a half. I hope I habituate fast because I'm really having troible dealing with this and seeing how I'm going to deal with this for life...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply. The only ray of hope in this is that I might habituate and learn not to hear the T. Hopefully that will happen for me sooner rather than later. I've already noticed that when I'm really concentrating on something else I don't hear the T. Those periods typically don't last for very long, but hopefully it will get better.

7. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @Kuriboh1981

While mainly depending on how loud your T is, it will also be up to you on how fast you will habituate..

You are just one week in so now you probably just have to learn to manage your anxiety and your emotional state.. then eventually you will have to work on acceptance and how you emotionally respond to it... There are many ways to do that, you have to find the one that works for you... Plenty of great info in here for you to look and success stories to look up to when feeling down..

I wish you well and a fast habituation...

Take care..

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. I'll check out the success stories.