I Know of 2 People in My Family Whose Tinnitus Has Gone Away

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Lesly, Nov 26, 2017.

1. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @RoseFaith

I've read plenty of posts that say changing to a hissing is a good thing. The other thing to do is keep track of the volume. Is it getting any lower? Not day by day or even week to week but after a month have you had a lower point than the month before.

t makes no sense so what some observe may be different than what happens with you. If you've never had t before and spent 40 mins in a bar I hope the exposure wasn't great enough to cause long term t.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This proves that hissing = quiet ringing. If you got it to hiss less than a month after the onset, you are in a better shape than most people on this forum (many take months to get to hear hissing [if they ever hear it]). I think that there is a good chance that you will get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage, or even get to hear silence again.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss and work stress
      What is the chance of going from "only hear it in quiet rooms" (e.g. 35-40dbish) to silence?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thus far, I think I've read only one or two testimonies where someone made the transition. Many people who claim to hear silence, turn out to still be hearing T in a quiet room.

But who knows - perhaps that quiet room stage lasts several years, and by the time it is over and one gets to hear silence again, one has forgotten about this forum, and so we don't get to hear the success stories...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mm. Interesting. I do think a lot of people who have very mild T and don't consider themselves sufferers probably hear it in very quiet rooms, but aren't really aware of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      If I may jump in, I had T in 2011 (noise induced, reactive), then it faded, then had the “quiet room” stage and forgot about it (probably habituation at first), then went to completely quiet.

I have to confess I don’t really know how long it took to go from “quiet room” to quiet, since I only realised it when a friend asked me about it a few months later, and I then realized all of a sudden I hadn’t heard it for a while (not just habituation anymore, actually *not hearing*).

Then went years without T, and now I’m back because of a stupid mistake :(.

But! Yes, I did experience the above and can confirm it happens.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      About this, I think it’s just easier to habituate to “quiet room” T. I recently talked to a friend about my current troubles, and that evening, he was surprised to hear about the phenomenon, didn’t know it existed, etc. Then a few days later, he told me that next morning he woke up and realized he heard a high pitched sound. I asked if it was fleeting, but he said, nope, it must’ve been there all along. He just actually did not hear it (at all!), because he wasn’t aware of it.

To me this says that habituation can actually lead to not hearing it, even in quiet rooms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice! I love stories like that (the first part).

And yes, absolutely. I told my brother about my current woes and he said he has a bit of T in his left ear, like a tone, but he never thinks about it.

• Like Like x 2