I May Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aldo Abarca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Aldo Abarca

Aldo Abarca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/19/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone!

On Thursday (4/19/18) I went to sleep at 11 p.m and woke up at 2 a.m with my right ear being muffled and a ringing noise as well. I went to the doctors so he could check my ears. He checked my left ear and as he checked my right ear he said I had a lot of ear wax and it was hard to see inside the ear. The nurse then put some sort of device inside my ears that beeped and basically told them if I could hear well. They told me everything was fine and that there was no problem.

I went home scared because my hearing was still muffled and I had a ringing in my ear. I went to sleep and woke up the next day with my hearing not being muffled anymore. I felt great.

It took me a while to notice that I still had the ringing in my right ear. I read online about something called Tinnitus and that it could be cause by earwax and exposure to loud noises.

I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up or almost all the way up when i go to school.

My doctor told me I also had a lot of ear wax in my right ear. I've been very anxious the past two days.

I just want to know your guys opinion on what could have cause this ringing in my ear and whether its permanent or temporary.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The likely cause is your listening at max volume. I suggest you give your ears a break for a good while.
      Nobody can tell you if it's permanent or temporary. But if you follow good hearing hygiene (avoid loud sounds) and relax, there is a good chance that your T will fade with time.

Good luck!

3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      The test they did on your ears is Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs). This can show how the ear is functioning. The results should have come back showing the tests at different frequencies and will show as REFFER or PASS. If it is REFFER there can be hearing loss at the frequency.