I Need Ammunition

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie, May 19, 2012.

1. Jamie
      Worried

Jamie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1989
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1989 Ear Infection 2015 Coming off Benzo
      Hi eveyone, I've had my T and H for 24 years now and I'm 36 years old. It's starting to really affect my life now in every respect from work to family life and everything in between. I haven't been to my doctor for a couple of years but I am thinking about going, but here is the problem.
      Over here in little old New Zealand the doctor's and ENT's are still using the 1950's textbook of 'there is nothing you can do, learn to live with it', this is the only reponce I have ever had in my many visit's over the last two and a half decade's.
      What I need is a list of things that could provide some relief, so when they pull out the old 'nothing you can do' statement, I could have some suggestions.

Please let me know what has worked for you, or what are the best first things to try. this would be much appreciated.
      I have done basic's myself, cutting out salt, alcohol, etc but nothing made any difference. At the moment i take a multi vitamin each day and wear hearing protection, that's about it.

Cheers,

Jamie

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I love New Zealand... want to go there so badly.

That out of my system.

Welcome to the boards!

I guess New Zealand isn't that different from most of the world then. I don't think there is a country where the textbook answer isn't "nothing you can do". The exception are usually only the doctors who are most specialized / interested in tinnitus. And depending on if one goes to public or private health care, the resources available can dictate a lot. E.g. Finland's public health care system is basically ok, but it's not easy to get any special or cutting edge treatments without a fight. If you go private and pay from your own pocket (or insurance), then the situation is different.

As you know, tinnitus is usually classified chronic after 6 or 12 months of onset. So in your case (and in my case too) we are chronic cases.

Most of the current treatments can usually only help recent tinnitus cases. Like Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Prednisone, the AM-101 that is currently in trial phase, etc...
      But even those have produced limited results, and it's only a handful of people who've been helped by HBO, Prednisone etc... I'm not sure about AM-101 because it's not generally available yet... and haven't seen the latest results...

Caroverine is one thing to consider, but not easily obtainable. India and Austria are currently probably the only countries where you can get it... Some talk about Caroverine can be found here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnex-caroverine.46/

If you have tonal tinnitus, maybe you could give notched music therapy a whirl. There's a thread about it on Tinnitus Talk too, on the Treatments section.

You said you've had your T and H, do you mean hearing loss by H? or Hyperacusis?

It's really quite unfortunate that we tinnitus sufferers don't have many treatment options. You are young too, so I'm quite confident that you will be able to enjoy silence, or at least much reduced tinnitus in your life time.

The best thing to do is to read the previous discussions here on the forums and keep an eye on future ones, many of our members are posting new research news and treatment options (drugs, devices, etc...) as they become available.

Did I understand correctly: your tinnitus has become worse/more annoying recently? Were you successfully habituated to it before?

Wish I could offer more, but this was all I got... :/

Hang in there though!

Markku

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie
      Worried

Jamie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1989
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1989 Ear Infection 2015 Coming off Benzo
      Thanks for the reply Markku, any suggestions are great, I don't know about you or other members but when I try to research Tinnitus mine gets unbearibly loud to the point where I have to give up and go do something else to take my mind off it.​

In answer to your questions, the H is hyperacusis. My Tinnitus started after a ear infection when I was 12 or 13 years old. It was noticeable then but I could live with it. A couple of years ago the Tinnitus got worse but what really bothers me is the hyperacusis. Its hard to explain but its like the Tinnitus is in competiton with any other noise and won't ever be drowned out, whatever I listen to I can still hear the T powering over the top.​

It is great to see all the research going on though, definetly helps keep the old chin up.​

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The hyperacusis aspect sounds, honestly, terrible.

Have you had the hyperacusis ever since when you first got tinnitus, or did you start experiencing it when the tinnitus got worse couple of years ago?

I was in the belief that it's not rare for new tinnitus sufferers to experience hyperacusis, but the hyperacusis part usually subsides on its own...?

I can sort of imagine what it must be like if you cannot drown the tinnitus noise out... ambient sound masking is an important part of my ongoing daily coping strategy...

5. SymphonSilencio

SymphonSilencio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      The only thing I know of that you can do to alleviate Hyperacusis and acclimate Tinnitus to a good degree is to listen to a pink noise track religiously (preferably the one from the hyperacusis network). H will go down or at least the hearing sensitivity perceived will get better to a certain degree. T is tricky. I know if you listen to the pink noise for a good period of time at a low to moderate volume (your not supposed to try and mask T completely unless your in the shower or using the faucet) for 2-8 hours a day you will see a difference. The biggest key to fighting tinnitus is cultivating a strong emotional core. I know that sounds general and perhaps silly as well but the many people in this world who have weathered cancer and other diseases that either arent cureable or are very difficult to treat have found a strength within themselves that the ailment could not touch.

Having a strong stress management system, hobbies that you can love and take you out of your T bubble, and a positive mindset plus any of the remedies and tricks that the members here can offer you will carry you a long way. I know you dont know me but honestly I've been through it all even though I've only had it for a meager 4 years compared to yourself.

I wish you the best.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Markku, do you think prednisone helps with tinnitus under 3 months?