I Qualify for AM-101. Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by steinamo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. steinamo
      Balanced

steinamo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      I qualify for AM-101. I'm in Minneapolis, and it would require me to go spend 5 days in Des Moines, IA. I think I could make this work with my job, but I'm wondering if people here in the community would think it's worth it?

A little history about my T. I've been in bands for most of my adult life, but had usually been careful using ear plugs at practice and whatnot. On (Thursday) July 9th I played a show in Chicago, and during soundcheck there was a snare drum hit that I thought was loud. Normally not something I'd notice. I didn't pay much attention and just kept on with my life. That weekend (Saturday) I was drunk and stressed/sad and listened to some music really loudly with earbuds while going to bed. The day after that (Sunday) I went to Murder City Devils concert and rocked out real hard (and actually saw MCD again on Monday). However, that week at work I noticed a ringing in my ears (and I was hungover so it was really prominent). Thinking it was wax (with which I've had problems in the past) I irrigated my ears but nothing came out. Well...enough time has passed now where I know I have T. I went to an ENT (a very nice, but very old man with IMO an antiquated notion of treating T) where they identified that I have hearing loss around 4300-4900 Hz. I'm unsurprised and not worried about the hearing loss. I've had 2-3 times in the past where the T was almost completely unnoticeable, but it always comes back. I've been trying to treat my T as much as I can, and today is actually one of the best days I've had in some time (did Neti pot last night, moved to a ketogenic diet, been taking supplements and drinking turmeric daily). I know habituation is possible for most (all?) people, and that some therapies such as TEMS are in the pipeline and have been shown effective. Sorry to get long winded, but some opinions would be nice. It would be quite an investment in time for me to go down to this trial, but the results I've read about make it seem like it might work for me.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      You raise a good point. I believe the overall results on AM-101 are mixed from what has been reported here on TT. At this point in my T journey, I probably would not go with AM-101, however, earlier on I probably would of.

You will have to take in account-- the investment time, that you might not get the real drug and it is possible it might or might not work for you.

Basically, I think it boils down to whether T is an issue for you in your life or not. If you think your life would be better without T and you can invest the time, then do it. If T is not that big of an issue, you do not fear it or the future then, maybe not.