I Really Need Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by i.m, May 20, 2016.

1. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Two month ago T started in my left ear but i was slowly habituating.

Then two weeks ago it started in my other ear, but it is another tone, very very low.

I opened two threads but nobody cared :cry:

I don't know if it's my fault or because my english isn't good, but I didn't find here any help for my condition.

I accepted my T in my left ear, but I can't accept another tone ( or two tones! ) in my other ear. My ENT gave me Betamethasone for 10 days... I am scared because I don't know if lyrica 25 and alprazolam triggered my new T.

According to Dr. Nagler, these two drugs, for such short time ( three weeks ) cannot cause tinnitus. I don't really know what to do. Any medical test does not show any problem, even in my right ear.

Right now I can't take alprazolam again to calm down, since their otoxicity.

Someone please... just encourage me for another time of habituation :oops:

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @i.m.,

It's hard to say what drug, or drugs, might have contributed to your tinnitus, because each person is different. In my case, I had very mild tinnitus in my right ear for many years, and then my tinnitus got very bad after taking a blood pressure drug, Lisinopril. That drug doesn't affect everyone the same way, but for me, it was awful, and caused a lot of other side effects as well.

I think it is possible that the Lyrica or the Alprazolam could have caused your tinnitus to begin or worsen, so it's probably good that you're not taking it right now. Is there something else you could take to calm down? You could try natural supplements, such as holy basil, or pharmaGABA, or magnesium. These provide a very gentle calming feeling without any of the side effects of other drugs.

I think you'll be able to habituate to the new noise in time. The best thing is to try to find ways to calm yourself, get plenty of sleep, mask the noises if possible, and keep your mind active. If you do those things, you will be able to habituate to the tinnitus within a few months. Do you have something you can use as background sound, such as a fan, in your bedroom so that you can get to sleep?

Take care, and I hope you will update us on how you are doing as time goes on.

Very best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I'm going through a hard time now too with some new stuff in my left ear. This is torture

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do your other ear started to ring too?

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Usually Alprazolam and Pregabalin are not considered ototoxic when you are on them.
      Quitting them cold turkey, without some sort of tapering schedule, after a long period of use is usually an ototoxic "danger factor".

Try taking NAC (large doses like 1200mg) per day, is has been shown that it may have some neuroprotective value for the inner ear.
      Betahistine is useless from what I read (and my own experience), there is a thread about it on the treatments section...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @undecided I stopped them cold turkey after three weeks, since I was taking the lowest dose of both ( 25mg of lyrics 1 x day and 8 drops of alprazolam ). And my second tone started after two weeks.

Do you think this could be the cause?

7. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @i.m yes my right ear rings too but my left ear was my good ear and I'm getting high pitched tones now that are insane

8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      If you have absolutely ruled out all other causes, it stands to reason that quitting cold turkey it is a plausible cause for your issues.
      And that's a bit of good thing, abrupt benzo-quitting tinnitus has a chance of going away - but it takes time.

(also, how much is 8 drops of alprazolam? like 0.25mg?)

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, and that's what happened to me, too, with the blood pressure medication. I stupidly stopped taking it cold turkey, because I was having a lot of other side effects. I hadn't been taking it very long, only a couple of weeks, but I guess that was enough.

@i.m., I agree that NAC might be a good supplement for you to take. I've been taking NAC for quite awhile now, and while my tinnitus is not gone, it has improved. It's worth a try. It is a natural supplement that you can order online, or find at a vitamin store.

Good luck, and I hope things begin to improve for you soon. Don't give up; things will get better!!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My friend, I send to you a huge hug, that's the only thing I can do via internet. If you want to talk, I'm here :)

The main problem here is my thoughts about "why did I take these drugs, why did I stop them without asking to my doctor" etc since the new tone itself is too low that is not a big deal for sleeping, living etc. I am angry just because I have a new tone! Did you do the same thoughts when you discovered that for your blood drug?

I hope, then, that this very very low tone will end. 10 drops are 0,25 , so I was taking a dose near 0,25mg every day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Ciao :) I'd say even 0,25 is a dose not to stop cold turkey after a few weeks..it could have ( theoretically, we can't know ) cause your new tone, but since it was a short period and the dose not too high indeed, you have all the chances it will go away. IT's no acoustic trauma, so taking Nac will most probably be useless. Benzo cause t in some people but not because they are ototoxic, as far as I know. It's just they interfere with your brain function and anything that does it may trigger T, if you're not lucky. The problem is there are so many things that be triggers we can't tell what it is..If you have no acoutic trauma on your account, no other diseases chances are it's ''only'' anxiety ? Try to relax, cheer u a bit.. I went out yesterday with a friend and my T subsided significantly. Don't underestimate the role of the psyche in all that..Stammi bene :)

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @i.m.,

Yes, I was very upset and angry with myself after I took that blood pressure drug, and it caused my very mild tinnitus to get so much worse! But that was six years ago. Now, I've accepted my tinnitus at its new level, and have gotten more used to it. I also think it has gotten calmer. That might be what happens to you, too. I believe you will habituate to the point that you will be much less bothered by it.

13. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      My own experience with Xanax (alprazolam). It is a wonder drug for anxiety. I've taken it during some of the worst times of my life. It should be taken with caution, as it can be addictive. I took it during my first two months of fighting with T and anxiety and sleep issues, and it was a valuable tool. I took it carefully and with caution. It was very helpful to me. I'm thankful that I no longer need to take it, but when I needed it, it worked. It is not a cure for T, but it can help with the early stages of anxiety and sleep problems that T causes. Best wishes, Trebor

14. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      whats the deal with lyrica