If I Can't Get TRT, What Else Do You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Mark K., Jan 20, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Mark K.
      Happy

Mark K. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. May have been from medication
      Hello Dr. Nagler:
      Thank you so much for responding to my previous question regarding TRT in Hawaii. I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I had another question regarding TRT? I'm so serious on improving my condition or state of mind regarding my tinnitus, however, realistically because there are no TRT clinics here in Hawaii, I don't think I can afford to fly to the mainland (ie. Minnesota) to go to a TRT clinic and then do on-line therapy at this time. Is there any other suggestions (besides TRT), either devices or therapy you can suggest I can use at this time to get me on my way to habituation and relief? Of course, I do want to do TRT in the future, but I know I can't pursue it quite yet. I'm not looking for the magic pill, I'm just looking for other alternatives at this point in my journey.

I read your "letter to tinnitus sufferer" and I'd like to try the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy you mentioned in your letter. I've started writing down any negative thoughts followed by reasons it represents illogical thinking. I'm willing to try anything that will get me to the road of habituation and recovery.

Currently, my tinnitus (last week) has been louder and constant, and my hearing has become very sensitive to sound (even scratching my head aggravates it). I've had tinnitus for about 2 months, and it actually seems like its changed within a week (not for the better). Which of course has increased my anxiety levels. Prior to this change, I really was making strides and my anxiety levels were very low. Now it feels like I'm starting from square one again.

I know that I'm one of millions that ask for your advise, but as a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I plead to you to help me on this and offer me any suggestions in to helping me on my road to habituation. Being that there is no other way to get to TRT unless I fly to another state, I realize this wont happen in the near future. So I ask, is there any other options I have to help me habituate in Hawaii besides TRT? Am I doing everything I possibly can to help habituate myself?

Could the Doctor in Hawaii who is going through his TRT offer me some advice or experience on TRT?

I realize that time can also help, but I also know that proper tools (ie. Therapies, TRT, Hearing Aids, etc. ) can greatly make a difference if someone is successful at habituation.

Doctor Nagler, Whatever you can do for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
      Mark K.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Based upon what you say above, my suggestion would be to get in touch with Dr. Bruce Hubbard, who posts here on the Doctors Corner from time to time.

@Dr. Hubbard is an expert in cognitive behavioral therapy, and he is particularly interested in its application to tinnitus. I hold him and his work in very high regard.

Dr. Hubbard is incredibly knowledgeable as well as compassionate. I first met him a while back when he attended a tinnitus presentation of mine, and we have become good friends since then. Dr. Hubbard does not do TRT, but I am absolutely convinced that what he does do - cognitive behavioral therapy - he does as well as it can possibly be done. Best of all for you in Hawaii is that as a psychologist Dr. Hubbard does not require an initial in-person visit. He can work entirely via phone and Skype.

Dr. Hubbard's website is http://cognitive-behavior-therapy.com/

Give him at call!

Kind regards -

Dr. Stephen Nagler