If My (Pain) Hyperacusis Started Off as Mild, How Likely Is It to Worsen?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FrontRoomFanatic, Apr 19, 2020.

1. FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      My hyperacusis started off as fairly mild compared to many others. I’ve not got the loudness element but I do have some discomfort with artificial noises such as tinny speakers. I was previously bothered by other noises such as plates and cutlery. But this has mainly resolved and I am no longer bothered by these sounds. So I’ve had some progress in the 10 months since onset.

I read a lot about hyperacusis changing/worsening for no reason, so I wondered if my chances of this happening is lower due to my symptoms being less severe at onset, and the fact my symptoms have reduced as time has gone on? Or am I just as likely to experience worsening as others who were more affected at onset, and have had minimal progress over the same period?

I’ve been reading the research threads with some interest lately. Both the hair fibre growth and synapse research/treatments. I hope some, or better yet all, of these come to fruition as an effective solution for us all.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I have *exactly* the same kind of hyperacusis as you - artificial audio is the one thing that still causes me issues. Prior to my setback my H was essentially a non-issue and would only really be triggered by certain environments. Mostly back to normal although still have some lingering symptoms e.g. ear crackling, intermittent facial tingling/numbness (forehead) but these still ramp up if I listen to stuff on my laptop. Things definitely have improved so I'm hopeful it will eventually go away - hypeacusis progress seems to be maddeningly slow and requires boatloads of patience it seems.

I'm in the same position as you - relieved that it's got better on the one hand but fearful that I'm one incident away from disaster and worsening.

3. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      So had a shot at listening to some stuff on my laptop for the first time in a few weeks...and there's definitely been improvement. There's still some facial tightness/tingling that gets triggered but it's not immediate and definitely milder... wasn't too surprised as this has been an intermittent symptom anyway for the past while. No burning etc or pain tho.

• Like Like x 2