If the Eye Can Do It the Ear Should Too

Discussion in 'Support' started by bwspot, Sep 2, 2014.

1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      "You can always see your nose but your mind just ignores it."

What if you apply same to T?

• Like Like x 2
    2. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Great! Now I'm thinking about my nose and the T. Haha Just kidding. However, you are correct. The brain choses to ignore many things that would otherwise "annoy" some of us. I think what the brain choses to ignore is what it considers a threat. If we see T as a threat we focus on the T otherwise we can ignore it to a certain degree. Best regards.

Enrique

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Being unaware of your nose is a good analogy. I like it.

One might counter with the fact that unlike tinnitus, your nose isn't waving back and forth in front of your eyes trying to get your attention. But that's exactly what the windshield wipers of your car do when its raining. They wave back and forth in front of your eyes - yet you really don't "see" them after a few seconds.

Like @Enrique says in Post #2 above, it really depends on how your brain interprets the stimulus - be that stimulus your nose, your windshield wipers, or your tinnitus.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      hh513e940d.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Viktor Salvatore
      Smug

Viktor Salvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7-5-11
      I like Dr. Nagler alot. Please keep visiting our boards. You give us all hope just being here. Thank you sir.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I sincerely appreciate the kind words, Viktor. Incidentally, your boards are my boards too. I myself have incredibly loud screaming tinnitus. If I didn't, I doubt very much that I'd every have had reason to look for Tinnitus Talk in the first place. We're all in this together!

The best of all good things in 2015 ... and beyond.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      You should watch this video:

In sort, everybody has a blind spot and most people do not even know they have it. You can make it visible with a little trick. Still the brain always "unsees" it. The same is true for the blood vessels directly over your retina. They cast a permanent shadow over your retina and you can make them visible (again, with a little trick). Still the brain will always ignore the actual information from the eyes and use filters/memory the create the better picture. So the brain completely ignores information form your eyes 24/7. It is so efficient en effective in doing so that almost nobody knows you can see the shadow of the blood vessels directly over your retina. Think about that....

Why we have blind spots - and how to see the...

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      mind_blown.gif

That's actually a really creepy test! I wish the ears could learn a little more from the eyes.

9. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      If the eyes perceive a serene and peaceful setting, why can't the ears not perceive it as a threat and lower our anxiety, therefore lower or eliminate our T? Has to be a link here.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      maybe because in the case of ear there is a defect? (hearing loss above 8K that most tests miss)

11. Viktor Salvatore
      Smug

Viktor Salvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7-5-11
      Na. My loss is just around 4,300...n it sucks there too. Excuse the language.